Oconee Valley Healthcare Greensboro, GA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Medical Assistant functions as an integral member of the patient care team in providing the highest quality of care to the patient.
Patient Care Duties:
- Orients new patients to the practice, including reviewing Medical Home Responsibilities with the new patient
- Reviews the Care Plan Report to conduct pre-visit planning for individual patients, reviewing and updating patient charts prior to appointment with recent test results and correspondence and determining needed services per practice protocol; performing other preparations as needed (i.e. obtaining medical records).
- Reviews the DARCI (Daily Appointment Report with Clinical Indicators) to con conduct pre-visit planning for individual patients, reviewing and updating patient charts prior to appointment with recent test results and correspondence and determining needed services per practice protocol; performing other preparations as needed (i.e. obtaining medical records).
- Participates in morning huddle meetings. Coordinates with Health Educators to schedule patient education appointments for patients who have an appointment that day and would benefit from care management / patient education or coordinate to conduct a “warm handoff” after patient has seen the provider. Plans accordingly for any patient who has special requirements such as communication needs / interpretive services. Confers with physician regarding any incomplete patient tests/consults or other incomplete orders prior to patient visit.
- Assists with keeping patient flow organized.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment by escorting them from the waiting area to the exam room.
- Documents allergies, tobacco usage, vital signs, blood pressure, height, weight, head and chest circumference on babies, chief complaints, medical histories, structured family history, social/cultural characteristics, communication needs, behaviors affecting health, mental health/substance use history of patient and family, conducting depression screening, current medications (including OTC), specialist consults, hospitalizations, ER visits and community organization referrals; obtaining GRITS reports, and recording vaccines administered in the GRITS registry; obtains signed medical records release as needed.
- Performs routine clinic procedures and assisting providers with procedures such as Pap Smears, administering injections, surgical procedures, etc. Performing standing orders per documented protocol.
- Collaborates with the patient/family to develop/implement a written care plan for transitioning from pediatric care to adult care.
- Assists patient care team members to complete and update patient care and/or self-management plans in collaboration with the patient and family including updating goals, documenting barriers to care, documenting patient’s understanding of medications, providing self-management tools and language appropriate patient education materials to patients.
- Coordinates care with disease management or case management programs.
- Communicates, orally and in writing, appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff, patients and their families, the administrative team and outside entities.
Coordination of Care Duties:
- Assists with assigned outreach programs and activities, the Patient Assistance Program (PAP) medication program and Prior Authorizations for medications as needed.
- Assists with general desk nurse duties such as answering phone calls from patients, routing information received from incoming faxes to the appropriate staff, monitoring the refill line and coordinating refills, and monitoring the lab line as needed.
- Documents clinical advice provided to patient by documenting call information in telephone encounters
- Provides timely clinical advice by closing telephone encounters within 48 hours.
- Assists with patient Population Management, as needed, including generating listings for patients who need services and printing letters for those patients.
- Provides feedback on usefulness of Community Resources to the Data Support Specialist.
- Provides updates to Community Resources to the Data Support Specialist.
- Ensures that patient’s Athena chart is up to date with information on specialist consults, hospitalizations, ER visits and community organization related to their health.
Lab / Diagnostic Imaging Tracking:
- Checks to ensure all lab and diagnostic imaging results have been received.
- Uses Needs follow-up inbox to locate labs and diagnostic imaging orders which have not been received.
- Communicates with patients and/or specialists/facilities regarding the status of the lab or diagnostic imaging order and documents information in the notes section of the order.
- Notifies patients of normal lab and diagnostic imaging results according to the Lab and Diagnostic Imaging Tracking Policy, documenting patient notifications as instructed in the policy.
- Notifies patients of abnormal lab and diagnostic imaging results according to the Lab and Diagnostic Imaging Tracking Policy, documenting patient notifications as instructed in the policy.
- Follows the Lab and Diagnostic Imaging Tracking policy for patients who cannot be contacted including documenting all attempts at contacting the patient, sending certified letters, contacting authorities, checking with community organizations, etc.
- Provides input/feedback to clinical representative on the Performance Improvement Committee and/or submit Performance Improvement Form(s) to share ideas on improvement of workflow, improvement of patient care experience, etc.
- Attends initial training and ongoing training as assigned to increase knowledge related to job position, patient safety, patient communication, coordinating care for patients with chronic conditions, encouraging patient to engage in self-management, etc.
- Performs general office maintenance such as restocking exam rooms, disinfecting exam rooms between patients, cleaning-up in general from daily medical activity, disposing biohazard bags and 2/3 full sharps containers from work areas and exam rooms into biohazard boxes.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient information according to federal guidelines and regulations.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
EDUCATION, ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent with 5+ years of medical office experience.
- Experience in a primary health care setting, nursing experience preferred.
- Strong customer service focus
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Teamwork orientation
- Organized and able to manage competing priorities
- Good judgment
- Resourcefulness in problem solving
- Able to take and follow through with delegated tasks and accountability
- Commitment to the concepts of preventive health care program and team approach to health care delivery
- Ability to learn about patients and their problems
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Requires sitting or standing for long periods of time, working in an office and clinical environment. Able to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist, and reach on a daily basis. Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds occasionally. Working under stress and use of the telephone required. Manual dexterity required for use of calculator and computer keyboard and other office machines. Hearing and vision corrected to normal range. Must be a team player and possess excellent customer service skills.
Oconee Valley Healthcare
803 South Main StreetGreensboro, GA
HealthcareView all jobs at Oconee Valley Healthcare