- Posted: over a month ago
Obran Cooperative is the first worker-owned cooperative conglomerate in the US. At Obran, we believe that everyone should own their work, and that ownership can dramatically improve our lives, both financially and emotionally. Growing worker-ownership is foundational to building a more equitable and competitive economy, an economy that enables the people who create value through their hard work to share in the value they create. At Obran, we are pioneering a new approach to grow worker-ownership at scale and create a new economy.
We are looking for an experienced Full Stack Engineer to join our development team. In this role, you will be responsible for the overall development and implementation of the front and back-end of the software applications that provide shared services to all our companies, that are used by employees to track their time and manage their accounts, and that connect us and enable cooperative governance. Your responsibilities will extend from designing system architecture to high-level programming, performance testing, and systems integration. You will be working with the Director of Product and Product Design lead to strategize, scope, and plan new features.
To ensure success as a full stack engineer, you should have advanced programming skills, experience with application development, and excellent troubleshooting skills. Top-rated full stack engineers create and implement advanced software systems that perfectly meet the needs of the company.
At Obran, we rely on our dynamic team of engineers to solve the many challenges and puzzles that come with our rapidly evolving technical stack. We’re seeking a full stack engineer who is ready to work with new technologies and architectures in a forward-thinking organization that’s always pushing boundaries. Here, you will take complete, end-to-end ownership of projects across the entire stack. Our ideal candidate has experience building products across the stack and a firm understanding of web frameworks, APIs, databases, and multiple back end languages. You’ll be joining a small team working at the forefront of new technology, solving the challenges that impact both the front end and back end architecture, and ultimately deliver amazing user experiences.
Full Stack Engineer Responsibilities
- Meeting with the software development team to define the scope and scale of software projects.
- Designing and implementing scalable web services, applications, and APIs.
- Developing and maintaining internal software tools.
- Troubleshooting and bug fixing.
- Collaborating with the design team on developing microservices.
- Writing technical documents.
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Architect and provide guidance on building end-to-end systems optimized for speed and scale
- Engage with inspiring designers and front end engineers, and collaborate with leading back end engineers as we create reliable APIs
- Collaborate across time zones via Slack, GitHub comments, documents, and frequent video conferences
- Must have a passion for economic equity and working knowledge of economic systems
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or computer science preferred
- 5+ years of experience building large-scale software applications
- Advanced knowledge of front-end languages
- Proficient in back-end languages including Elixir, Phoenix, Erlang, Python, Ruby,
- Knowledge of database systems and SQL.
- Good communication skills.
- High-level project management skills.
- Experience building payroll and financial service software is a plus
- Experience designing and integrating RESTful APIs
- Unit/integration testing experience
- Interest in in learning new tools, languages, workflows, and philosophies to grow
- Experience working in small business/ start-up environment
- Understanding of collective and cooperative business model preferred
$90,000 - $120,000 USD per year plus performance bonuses based on experience.
We will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Personal enrichment resources offered to all Obran Cooperative members
- Financial budgeted resources offered to all Obran Cooperative members
- An ever growing set of member benefits offered to all Obran Cooperative members
- Optional participation in the Obran Cooperative board and committees to help define future Obran Cooperative member benefits
Our Mission Obran Cooperative’s mission is to put the engines of business to work for humanity
Obran will be the world's largest worker-cooperative conglomerate. We exist to grow profitable, useful, and impactful businesses that serve our members, customers, and communities. We acknowledge structures of inequity and embrace the struggles to overcome them, one workplace at a time.
- Democracy: We empower and educate members to participate fully in workplace decisions.
- Innovation: We question the status quo and find new ways of working that are better for ourselves, our customers, our communities, and the environment.
- Solidarity: We act in ways that promote equity and inclusion; we are pro-black, pro-women, pro-LGBTQ+, and against hate and discrimination in all its forms.
- Humanity: We believe that workers are humans first; we foster dignity, respect, and joy in our interactions with each other.
- Balance: We think critically and holistically about our decisions and seek balance in the short- and long-term outcomes of all stakeholders we touch. Our stakeholders include our members, our families, our communities, our investors, our customers, our suppliers, and the environment.
This organization operates in accordance with the Rochdale cooperative principles:
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Members’ economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training, & information
- Cooperation among cooperatives
- Concern for community
Salary Range Disclaimer
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, net disposable income, and performance. The range listed is one component of Obran’s total compensation package for employees/members. Other rewards may include quarterly bonuses, Cooperative Membership, an open Paid Time Off policy.
Equal Opportunities and Accommodations
Obran is deeply committed to creating workplaces and a community of members where equity is prioritized and valued. We believe that traditional corporations’ bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
Obran is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. To request an accommodation, please contact the Obran Coordination team at 443-704-4635, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance of your interview.
AddressNew York, NY
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?