The position of Universal Banker is responsible for processing all new account transactions, assisting customers in their selection of various accounts and financial services, cross-selling the Bank’s products and services, opening, maintaining and closing of all account types, performing branch clerical duties, promotes business for the Bank by maintaining good customer relations and refer customers to the appropriate staff for new services.
Assures compliance with all Bank policies and procedures, as well as all applicable state and federal banking regulations.
1. Assists consumer and business customers in their selection of various accounts, products and financial services available from the Bank; ensures cross-sell opportunities are presented by applying professional sales techniques.
2. Interviews customers to obtain information, establishes proper identification of new customers, determines need and extent of reference investigation.
3. Makes decisions regarding the opening of new accounts, assigns account numbers, completes forms requiring customer signature(s), checks credit history, accepts initial deposits, prepares all documents and items pertaining to checking accounts, savings accounts and certificates of deposit for processing.
4. Operates computer terminal or personal computer to process account activity, determine balances, and resolve problems within given authority.
5. May represent the Bank in various community, civic, and community reinvestment functions to further enhance the Bank’s image and develop additional business.
6. Provides effective customer service by answering customer questions, investigates and corrects errors and resolves problems or other issues.
7. Issues official checks.
8. Performs safe deposit duties by opening accounts, controlling access, assisting customers and processing affiliated reports.
9. Receives and processes stop payment and hold orders.
10. Presents funds received from customer to teller for initial deposits, determines funds availability and obtains receipt for customer.
11. Processes credit reports, wire transfers, credit card orders, address changes, check and deposit slip orders, and endorsement stamp orders.
12. Gathers data and process various reports and callbacks.
13. Answers telephones and directs callers to proper Bank personnel.
14. Processes DDA lines of credit and check guarantee/debit card applications, card ordering and file maintenance.
15. Processes statements, renewal notices and interest payments for IRA and certificates of deposit accounts.
16. May assist in opening and closing the vault daily, assists in balancing vault currency and coin.
17. Cross-trains less experienced branch personnel.
18. Types routine letters, reports and forms.
19. Completes change of address on return mail as well as ensuring proper documentation for correspondence.
20. Maintains files, copies and faxes documents, and orders and distributes supplies.
21. Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works ethically and with integrity, upholds organizational values, and accepts responsibility for own actions.
22. Demonstrates knowledge of and adherence to EEO policy, shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences, educates others on the value of diversity, promotes working environment free of harassment of any type, builds a diverse workforce and supports affirmative action.
23. Follows policies and procedures, completes administrative tasks correctly and on time, supports the Bank’s goals and values, benefits the bank through outside activities.
24. Performs the position safely, without endangering the health or safety to themselves or others and will be expected to report potentially unsafe conditions. The employee shall comply with occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations and orders issued pursuant to the OSHA Act of 1970, which are applicable to one’s own actions and conduct.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
1. Bachelor’s degree or be actively pursuing a bachelor’s degree, or 4 or more years of related experience and/or training, or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Work related experience should consist of a financial institution operations, sales or customer service background. Educational experience, through in-house training sessions, formal school or financial industry related curriculum, should be business or financial industry related.
2. Intermediate experience, knowledge and training in branch operation activities, terminology and products and services relating to retail and commercial account customers.
3. Basic knowledge of related state and federal banking compliance regulations and other Bank operational policies.
4. Intermediate skills in computer terminal and personal computer operation, mainframe computer system and word processing, spreadsheet and account opening software programs.
5. Intermediate typing skills to meet production needs of the position.
6. Basic knowledge of general office practices.
7. Basic math skills, calculate interest and balance accounts, add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals, locate routine mathematical errors, count currency, coin and negotiable instruments in a timely manner.
8. Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, and speak clearly to customers and employees.
9. Ability to deal with difficult problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations.
10. Effective organizational and time management skills.
11. Ability to work with general supervision while performing duties.
12. Current STATE driver’s license and a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage if required to drive in the course of performing assigned duties and responsibilities.