Middle & High School Services Assistant
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Oak Park Public Library seeks part-time Library Assistant(s) to join the Middle & High School Services team.
The Oak Park Public Library is on a journey to become an anti-racist organization. Anti-racism is now one of the library’s four strategic priorities alongside engagement, learning, and stewardship. We serve a diverse population at our three locations and out in the Oak Park community. Our vision is to empower every voice in our community, and our mission is to share the information, services, and opportunities that fulfill Oak Park’s aspirations.
The Middle & High School Services Assistant actively maintains a safe, secure, and pleasant environment for library patrons and staff by engaging and assisting middle and high school patrons and enforcing policies and procedures while keeping in mind the library’s objectives for access and equitable treatment for everyone. Regular evening hours are expected.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adheres to library policies and proactively enforces the A Library for Everyone policy
- Circulates and provides general supervision throughout the Middle and High School Services area
- Establishes relationships and engages with patrons and staff in a positive, effective manner
- Collaborates across the organization to address patron safety, initiatives, and organizational strategies
- Reports incidents, violations, suspicious activity, or other behavior appropriately based on manager expectations
- Proactively works to prevent problem situations
- Seeks and attends opportunities to develop skills and knowledge related to the service area and shares knowledge and new skills with colleagues
- Supports programs and services at the main branch, Maze, and Dole branches
- Practices efficient time management and uses resources appropriately
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Understands, supports, and advances the library's vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of patrons and staff throughout the library and outside the organization.
- Supports a positive team environment in which members participate, respect, and cooperate to achieve desired results.
- Verbal and written communication skills. Ability to express oneself clearly and effectively to internal and external stakeholders
- High level of professionalism and integrity with the capacity to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to exercise good judgment and independent thinking
- Must be able to engage youth and willing to use restorative practices to handle conflict
- Must be available and willing to work afternoons and evenings
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or the equivalent is required
- Two (2) or more years of work experience serving middle and/or high school students is desirable
This position reports to the Middle & High School Programming Supervisor. This part-time position is scheduled for 15+ (maximum of 19) hours per week every weekday (Monday through Friday) during the afternoon/evening.
Starting hourly rate range: $18.00 to $20.00, depending on qualifications, and includes some paid time off, learning and development opportunities, and other benefits. The position is scheduled to start in September 2022. Please apply soon to be considered for this position.
Anti-Racism. Diversity. Equity. Inclusion.
The Oak Park Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. We work to create and support an environment of anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion for the benefit of our staff, our collections, our programs and services, our patrons, and our community.