Adult Services Assistant
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Oak Park Public Library seeks a part-time Library Assistant to join the Adult Services team.
The Oak Park Public Library is on a journey to become an anti-racist organization. Anti-racism is now one of the library’s four strategic priorities alongside engagement, learning, and stewardship. We serve a diverse population at our three locations and out in the Oak Park community. Our vision is to empower every voice in our community, and our mission is to share the information, services, and opportunities that fulfill Oak Park’s aspirations.
This position is for you if interacting with and helping patrons is your favorite part of working in a library. The Assistant position focuses on customer service. The primary responsibility for most of the working day is to assist patrons with finding materials, locating information, and helping them with technology. Evening and weekend hours are expected. There may also be opportunities to assist with programming and community engagement.
The person in this position directly assists customers at service points at Main Library and may have opportunities to work at any of the library’s three locations. They also support library initiatives/projects across service areas and work closely with librarians, specialists, and other library staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
The nature and allocation of work for an Assistant may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Assists patrons at all library service points and in the community
- Assists patrons with the use of self check-out kiosks
- Provides readers advisory, reference, and technology assistance using appropriate tools
- Supports and troubleshoots public computers, printers, and mobile devices
- Adheres to library policies and proactively enforces the Library’s Rules of Behavior and refers issues to Supervisors and/or Managers as required
- Provides information on library and community news and events
Community Engagement and Programming
- Participates in community engagement activities with the Book Bike and with the Community Engagement Team as needed
- Assists Librarians to prepare and present programs as needed
Successful candidates will:
- Have at least earned a high school diploma and preferably some college
- Have some experience working in a library, retail, or hospitality setting
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Be available and willing to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Be open to working 4 to 5 hours shifts
These part-time positions report to the Manager of Adult Services. The positions will be scheduled for four shifts a week, totaling 16 (maximum 19) hours per week, with expectations for some evening and weekend availability.
Starting hourly rate range: $18.00 to $20.00, depending on qualifications, and includes some paid time off, learning and development opportunities, and other benefits. Please apply by Wednesday, August 24, to be considered for this position.
Anti-Racism. Diversity. Equity. Inclusion.
The Oak Park Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. We work to create and support an environment of anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion for the benefit of our staff, our collections, our programs and services, our patrons, and our community.