Location: 915 Olentangy River Rd,Columbus,OH,43212
OSU Physicians, Inc.
We believe that being engaged and sharing in a larger purpose at work is instrumental to the employee experience. “Tradition, iconic, determination, teamwork, competitive, purpose, compassion, community, pride, integrity.” These are words that our employees use to describe what it feels like to embody the “Buckeye Spirit” and work for our organization. Sound like something you are seeking? We invite you to keep reading.
Located throughout Central Ohio serving as the clinical service arm of one of America's top-ranked academic medical centers, OSU Physicians, Inc. fosters an environment built on diversity, employee development and quality patient care. At our organization, we value inclusiveness, determination, empathy, sincerity, ownership and innovation by leading the charge toward a better future through the power of connection.
Our vision is to push the boundaries of discovery and knowledge to solve significant health problems and deliver unparalleled care to our patients. Apply now and work together with us to make a greater impact on our society in which we serve.
Purpose: Coordinates activities and provides secretarial support for a multi-faceted clinical office to ensure a smoothly functioning office and good patient relations. Interacts with patients, patients' families, referring physicians and third party carriers with regard to patient-related issues. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload. The Medical Secretary is responsible for administrative support that includes clinical patient scheduling, appointments, confidential records, and filing.
Requirements: High School diploma; two or more years of experience in a health care environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of ICD-9/ICD-10 & CPT coding. Knowledge of medical terminology and customer/patient service experience. Organizational and problem solving skills, and ability to manage multiple priorities. Ability to convey information both in writing and verbally. Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy. Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (MSWord, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers incoming calls and relays messages; responds to patient and staff inquiries, schedules all clinical appointments, communicates with referring physician offices, answers incoming calls and relays messages; responds to patient and staff inquiries, schedules all clinical appointments, responds to faxes and distributes incoming mail to all physicians and communicates with referring physician offices. Provides general administrative support.
- Scheduling appointments via computerized appointment scheduling system, patient reception, coordination of medical records and associated clinical and administrative documents. Communicates necessary information to patients
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure physician coverage for specialty procedures.
- Assists in maintaining the physician's calendar; notifies the physician of changes. Sets up meetings as instructed or as required, notifying all necessary parties.
- Where directed, schedules tests authorized by the physician and obtains pre-certifications by the patients' health care insurers or managed care providers.
- Schedules patients for laboratory tests, clinical appointments, and consultations and relays information to patients regarding preparation for the laboratory tests and examinations.
- Facilitates the preparation of paperwork for patients on behalf of physician.
- Anticipates needs of patients; shows initiative and responsibility for solving patient problems.
- Builds and maintains all patient charts, records, and confidential medical files. Pulls patient charts for clinical appointments and prepares the chart for the physician.
- Responsible for monitoring and ordering office supplies for the department or clinic.
- Performs other related duties as required. This position may be assigned to special projects or accountabilities when other priorities are identified.
- Ability to perform functions using job-related software and systems.
- Travel may be required to accommodate staffing levels at other clinical facilities.
- Attendance, promptness, professionalism, the ability to pay attention to detail, cooperativeness with co-workers and supervisors, and politeness to customers, vendors, and patients.
- Other duties or special projects as assigned.
Benefits: We know that having options and robust benefit plans are important to you. To make sure our teams have a great experience working with us, we offer:
- Health Insurance Plans
- Short and Long Term Disability Plans
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Retirement Program
- Generous paid time off program to provide balance to you at home
- 10 paid holidays and MORE!