Social Services Department Head, 10 Month Position
Crime Victim/Survivor Services
900 N. Portland Ave
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73107
(Contingent upon available funding):
0.00 - 0.00, Commensurate
Varies, occasionally includes some evenings and weekends.
Faculty Appt Period:
The department head is the first-line administrator of thedepartment to which he/she is assigned. The incumbent is responsible for all issues related to departmentoperation, such as curriculum, budgets, personnel, class schedules, and studentrights and responsibilities. Thedepartment head recruits and recommends hiring to administration, and recruits,assigns classes, and supervises full- and part-time faculty assigned to thedepartment. The department head actively recruits and mentor majors indepartment programs, serves on faculty committees, and performs other duties asassigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Teach 12 credit hours (or equivalent) with 3 hours credit release time each fall and spring semester.
- Supervise all credit courses, degree/certificate-granting programs of the department.
- Supervise the development/distribution of department publications.
- Coordinate development of an appropriate and efficient class schedule each semester.
- Coordinate with transfer institutions in the articulation of courses and/or degree programs.
- Remain current with theory and practice in the profession, coordinate and monitor professional growth activities for faculty.
- Develop a proposed budget for submission to the Division Head and recommend all budget expenditures to the Division Head.
- Coordinate the recruitment, selection, and recommendation of adjunct faculty and actively participate in the selection of full-time faculty.
- Develop and monitor faculty teaching loads.
- Evaluate faculty.
- Supervise textbook selection.
- Supervise implementation of the Student Success Model for retention.
- Supervise implementation of assessment model.
- Participate in active advisory boards for degree programs.
- Supervise or provide for supervision of program related student organizations.
- Establish and maintain effective cooperation and coordination with all other divisions, departments, and support units on campus.
- Supervise the planning and development of continuing education courses, workshops, and/or programs.
- Participate in professional organizations.
- Completes all mandatory training and participated in a minimum of two professional development each year.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Theduties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of thevarious types of work that may be performed. The omission of specificstatements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work issimilar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is a 10 month, Tenure Track. Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.Transcripts required upon Hire
Education & Experience
Masters degree in related field
Must be qualified to teach and provide leadership in degreeprograms; total of three (3) years of college-level teaching experience.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities Required:
- Communication skills Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing with clear, grammatically correct English and prepare complex reports on deadline; requires interaction with supervisors, colleagues, students, alumni, advisory committee members, and the public, using tact, discretion, and independent judgment.
- Computer skills Must be demonstrably proficient in Microsoft Office (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.), as well as email, internet, and learning management systems.
- Passion for assisting customers and representing the OSU brand with positivity and professionalism
- Evidences a history of demonstrating ethical and professional behavior
Must work effectively and cooperatively with campus faculty, departments, divisions, and support units, as well as a wide variety of people outside the university, such as advisory committees and representatives of other two-year and four-year institutions.
Other performance measures:
Successful performance of the jobrequires creativity, initiative, and effective problem solving. A department head must work constructivelywith faculty, staff, and university officials to accomplish essential jobfunctions.
Minimum of one year of successfuladministrative experience.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends in an often times busy and noisy environment.
- Work will be performed in an office and classroom environment with a significant amount of public contact, in person, by telephone and via email.
- Duties require extended periods of sitting, standing, talking, listening and computer usage
- Requires possible lifting of up to 25 lbs. (If an object weights more than 45 lbs., OSU-Oklahoma City requires this to be a two-person lift).
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Oklahoma State University (OSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations,OSU conducts pre-employment background checks on final candidates. Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.