Science Lab Coordinator
- Posted: over a month ago
Science Lab Coordinator
900 N. Portland Ave
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73107
Hiring Supervisor and Contact Info:
(Contingent upon available funding):
13.12 - 13.12, Hourly
Providestechnical support for the delivery and maintenance of science lab classes,especially microbiology and chemistry labs. Coordinates the activities andmaterials of all science labs in collaboration with lead instructor faculty andother lab technicians. Additional dutiesinclude support of other science activities and day-to-day functions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for oversight of all science lab activities and material inventories.
- Purchasing and maintaining order records for science department supplies. Will include p-card statement preparation and other responsibilities.
- Coordination of routine lab safety monitoring and review of practices.
- Preparation of consumables used in science classes.
- Maintain a safe working environment in all labs by monitoring formalin levels and appropriate collection and disposal of chemicals and biological specimens. Any hazards are to be reported to the lead instructor and the department head.
- Communicate with all science lead instructors for the coordination of all lab activities.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of chemicals, equipment, and supplies.
- Track budget spending and communicate monthly spending with department head.
- Assist science faculty and other lab technician staff in the preparation of materials for science classes, as needed.
- Completes all mandatory training and participated in a minimum of two professional development each year.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The duties listed in this job descriptionare intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may beperformed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude themfrom the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment tothe position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Resume and Cover Letter required for full consideration
Education & Experience
Associatesdegree in related field or relevant experience.
- Experience with preparation of chemicals.
- Experience with general lab safety and best practices.
- Experience with budgets and ordering.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Preparation of chemical solutions.
- Preparation of biological media.
- Appropriate safe disposal of chemical and biological wastes.
- Adapt and apply laboratory methods and procedures.
- Ability to develop and follow general safety standards for laboratory environments.
- Maintenance of budgets.
- Knowledge of purchasing and inventory.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate diplomatically, clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing to exchange information, give/receive instructions and respond to inquiries appropriately.
- Strong interpersonal skills and sensitivity to a multicultural environment in an effort to work and communicate effectively with all students, faculty, staff and community partners.
- High degree of initiative to work independently and also collaborate in a team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of office technologies including but not limited to: office computers, fax machines, scanners, internet, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Work with minimal supervision.
- Passion for assisting customers and representing the OSU-OKC and OSU brand with positivity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated history of ethical and professional behavior.
- Bachelors degree inbiological sciences with 4 credit hours of chemistry or biology.
- Laboratory environment. Exposure to chemicals (specifically formalin), potential biological hazards and repetitive activities common to science labs, such as cutting and pipetting.
- Sharps and power tools are used.
- Position may require up to 30% of the work week be performed outside of regular hours.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends.
- Work will be performed in an office environment with a significant amount of public contact, in person, by telephone, via email, and various communication platforms.
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting up to 30 lbs. (If an object weights more than 45 lbs., OSU-Oklahoma City requires this to be a two-person lift) unassisted, bending, standing, repetitive motions, climbing ,walking and computer usage.
- Duties require extended periods of standing, sitting, talking and listening.
- Duties require extensive use of computers, telephone and other office equipment.
- Must be able to handle and safely dispose of chemicals, solutions, biohazardous material, and any other hazardous materials common to the science lab.
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
OklahomaState University (OSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations,OSU conducts pre-employment background checks onfinal candidates. Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
AddressOklahoma City, OK