Support the Consulting Division of our Rapidly Growing Government Capture and Proposal Consulting and Training Firm!
1. Position Overview
We are looking for a bright, determined, and self-motivated Finance Manager and Controller who has the ability to assess, interpret, and render judgement to finance and accounting standards, as well as specifications and processes, including those associated with our accounts payable support model.
This is a full-time position in our spacious Rockville office.
2. Your Job
As the Finance Manager and Controller, you will manage and oversee all aspects of our financial operations. This position requires a highly intelligent and talented individual who can grasp the big picture as well as pay meticulous attention to details. You will also need to be skilled with report creation and data sharing, billing, and negotiation skills to deal with customers and vendors over the phone; ability to budget and balance cash flow; great organization skills; and relentless but tactful follow-up on internal timekeeping, invoicing, and external client collections. A successful candidate will collaborate with cross-functional teams and elevate the firm’s accounting operations, which includes you working closely with our CEO and senior management team.
You will need higher-level brain functions to “connect the dots” in order to manage and improve our finance departments support requirements. The Financial Accounting Manager’s tasks are:
a) Accounts Payable Support
- Post and reconcile all transactions to QuickBooks
- Daily cash-flow monitoring and alerts
- Post sales transactions
- Reconcile sales deposits
- Maintain A/R balances daily and reconcile customer balances
- Post expense transactions
- Customer collection emails and/or calls as needed
- Request and maintain vendor W-9 and COI records as needed
- Issue invoices in accordance with individual contract terms
- Issue vendor payments
- Maintain A/P balances daily and reconcile vendor balances
- Send reminders on time sheets and process them
- Generate and process payroll
- Process team receipts for payroll reimbursements w/payroll
- Process payroll tax returns
- Source documents storage in accounting software (i.e. attachments to transactions)
- Source documents storage in SharePoint
- Reconcile bank accounts and credit cards
- Negotiate better packages and payment terms, and get rid of services not used
b) Controller Support
- Post all asset, liability, and equity transactions not captured under bookkeeping services
- Reconcile all asset, liability, and equity accounts not captured under bookkeeping services
- Close books monthly on/around the 10th
- Track and analyze financial metrics, ratios, and KPIs, and maintain company scorecard
- Prepare and track budgets
- Develop forecasts
- Using software and calculations, perform expense analytics (i.e. where are we overspending?)
- Using software and calculations, perform sales analytics (i.e. where are we under-earning?)
- Perform overhead costing & allocations
- Collaborate w/3rd parties to complete insurance (i.e. worker’s comp) audits
- Assess and establish internal controls as needed
- Provide information to the external accountant who files company’s taxes
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Work with accountant on tax planning strategies
- Close books each year prior by Jan 31st
- Review and/or preparation of 1099s and W-2s
- Property return or report preparation & submission to state tax agency
- Collaboration with owner’s personal returns
- Manage 401K account deposits
- Submit information for business and owner’s personal tax returns
- Apply for grants and loans
c) Records Maintenance and Reports
- Scan and file financial information for taxes (receipts, statements, etc.) and contractual documents (client and supplier contracts and non-disclosure agreements) electronically in SharePoint
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
d) Assist with Various Projects
- Negotiate company employee benefits
- Perform employee and consultant on-boarding tasks
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management as requested
- Maintain company owner’s personal accounts and maintain personal information in QuickBooks
- Other projects as applicable
3. Required Experience and Skills
- A Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 3+ years of progressively responsible experience for a company.
- QuickBooks, Intuit Payroll, and Excel fluency are required.
- Excellent technology skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Accountant designations.
- Background check required.
- Exceptional command of written and spoken English.
- Professional knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Veteran of the U.S. armed forces.
- Preference will be given to candidates familiar with government contracting, government cost proposals, and with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management.
- Experience in Cost-Plus accounting for Government Contractors.
- Professional training and certifications.
4. Desired Soft Skills and Professional Characteristics
- You take the high road in difficult situations and understand how to read personalities and win respect of highly intelligent, technically proficient, and accomplished professionals.
- You make realistic promises, you care deeply, and make sure the delivery team keeps your promises to the customer.
- You make our team look good in front of the customers.
- You love a fast-paced dynamic environment with a variety of different tasks.
- You are a skillful negotiator with a strong ability to connect with people.
- You have a high level of intelligence to include emotional intelligence, good character, and you are easily coachable.
- You have been admired for your organizational and time management skills.
- You maintain professional relationships with people to ensure repeat business.
OST has invested over a decade in intellectual property development and is now on a rapid growth trajectory. In addition to growing our consulting practice, we have launched the following innovative initiatives:
- Grow the Registered Apprenticeship program in Government Business Development.
- Develop co-marketing/partnerships with major educational institutions.
- Leverage our GovCon Incubator as a public good component of our company.
- Productize Bid & Proposal Academy training to harness the virtual learning trends of the pandemic and post-pandemic world while reducing delivery costs.
- Broaden the training reach and establish the Bid & Proposal Academy as the new leading training brand name in government contracting.
OST’s mission is to build the single biggest business development solutions company in the government contracting market.