- Posted: over a month ago
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn't about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE's members are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They're artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The ONE Campaign seeks a dynamic and motivated Staff Accountant to manage and assist in the delivery of the organization's financial information. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Staff Accountant will be performing a wide array of finance and accounting functions with a constant focus on problem solving and project initiative. The successful candidate is eager to learn and demonstrates an ability to help bring change and order to the finance and accounting process. The Global Staff Accountant will apply analysis and reporting skills to all areas of ONE's monthly accounting cycle as well as the global accounting environment, which includes providing accounting expertise and support to several related or affiliated entities including: The ONE Campaign, ONE Action, ONE Campaign Africa, ONE Against Poverty UK, and ONE Global (Canada).
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
The responsibilities fall into five key areas: Accounting, Financial Statements, Accounts Payable, Payroll and Cash Management.
- Process, reconcile, and post subledger interfaces to the general ledger account balances
- Create/post standard, and non-standard recurring and required month-end journal entries, including investment activities, fixed assets, depreciation, expensing prepaid items, recognizing deferred revenue and other accruals, release of temporarily restricted net assets, etc.
- Reconcile key accounts and post adjustments and correcting entries
- Be responsible for the integrity of the general ledger within a multi-entity accounting environment, including balance sheet and general account reconciliations, and adjusting entries.
- Review transactions of finance staff from assigned offices to ensure transactions are performed timely and accurately with proper support documentation
- Provide support for annual audit in the area of global accounting and Prepare audit PBC schedules
- Fully utilize ERP system, Intacct, for a paperless accounting environment.
- Support and collaborate with Global Offices regarding monthly accounting activities (month-end close etc.).
- Assess internal controls, including risk assessments and reviews of risk areas
- Investigate and resolve account discrepancies and any issues of non-compliance
- Troubleshoot Sage Intacct system issues and aid CFO, program, and operations staff with Sage Intacct report build-outs
- Contribute to the development of new or amended accounting policies, documentation, processes, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prepare financial statements (Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, and Profit and Loss Statements)
- Performing monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position/budget variance analyses
- Assist in the design and preparation of budgets for review by management
- Work with program staff to collect vendor W9 information and conduct other necessary vendor review steps to ensure compliance
- File timely and accurate Form 1099 and 1096; assist in preparing annual IRS forms 990, form 990-T, and other required U.S. and non-U.S. filings.
- Review accounts payable activity weekly using the web-based accounts payable system (Bill.com) based on the Organization's coding and approval
- Review payment support, and evidence of approval weekly through the web-based accounts payable system (Bill.com) and monthly through banking activity
- Manage Bill.com vendor information, ensuring vendors monitor and update their information
- Reconcile posted invoices and payments to the Accounts Payable subsidiary ledger to trial balance on a monthly basis
- Review and process expense USD claim reimbursements for ONE office staff through Expensify, including approving reports under certain required policies, update transaction location and upload to Intacct
- Collaborate with Payroll Manager for semi-monthly processing of US payroll and monthly processing of global payroll;
- Review payroll reports provided by a payroll service bureau and record payroll entries to general ledger on a monthly basis Reconcile to general ledger on a monthly basis
- Record payroll allocation entries
Cash Management/Accounts Receivable
- In collaboration with the Treasury Manager, monitor cash flow and report on cash status
- Perform monthly bank account reconciliations for the DC bank accounts
- Assist in cash forecasting
- Reconcile accounts receivable/grant receivable, deferred income and revenue accounts for all offices, except NY
- Record entries in the general ledger
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelors in Accounting, Business, or Finance required.
- CPA a plus
- Working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and IRS regulations for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations.
- 5+ years financial and accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit setting for a global organization with offices outside the US.
- Understanding of fundamental accounting principles.
- Experience with mid- to high-end accounting software. Sage Intacct accounting software experience highly desired
- Ability to work with all levels of staff across a multi-cultural, multi-geographic, multi-discipline organization
- Expert with Microsoft Office software, especially Excel.
- Track record of successful experience in efficient, accurate and timely month- and year-end closing and production of financial statements.
- Experience with foreign exchange transactions strongly preferred.
- Experience with intercompany activities.
- Detail-oriented, ability to complete multiple tasks accurately within critical deadlines
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and decision-making skills; ability to delegate and prioritize department workload
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strict confidentiality and a proven ability to exercise good judgment are essential.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Fluency in other languages such as French and/or German is a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Hybrid workplace environment with strong preference to be based in DC-metro area. Team schedules and organization needs may dictate the days you need to work in the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs (http://www.one.org/jobs).
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please email email@example.com). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. ONE does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. To learn more about our diversity and inclusion work and priorities, visit https://www.one.org/us/about/diversity/.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Finance and Insurance
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?