Staff Accountant II
OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science & Industry Portland, OR
- Posted: over a month ago
The Staff Accountant II is responsible for specific accounting tasks in support of the Accounting team, and special projects as assigned. Primary accounting tasks include the preparation of month-end journal entries, the review and verification of daily deposit transactions, reconciliation of various general ledger, income, and expense accounts, accounts receivable, credit card reconciliation, fixed asset management, and special projects as assigned by the Controller. The Staff Accountant II should be fully knowledgeable of the accounting software being used and be capable of performing a month-end close. This position is also responsible for backup assistance for all areas within the Accounting department.
Participate in programs/initiatives to enhance corporate culture, such as:
- Working effectively with and supporting volunteers throughout the organization.
- Supporting OMSI's Total Guest Experience (TGE)/Customer Service mission & objectives in daily job performance, including diversity initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare assigned month-end journal entries and year-end journal entries.
- Prepare reconciliations of general ledger accounts as assigned, resolve problems, and make adjusting journal entries.
- Daily revenue review and upload.
- Accounts Receivable invoice entry, payment entry and support Museum staff in management of AR collection and aging schedules.
- Quarterly Fixed Asset/project expense management; Annual asset entry, asset disposal and depreciation.
- Maintain and ensure compliance with accounting internal control procedures.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for improving the organization's accounting processes.
- Assist in preparation of year-end audit schedules and work closely with the outside auditors during the annual audit.
- Cross-training in Accounts Payable and Payroll.
- Support Accounts Payable with entry of "Rush Checks" and manual checks, as needed.
- This position is exempt, paid salaried
- This position is regular full-time, scheduled for working 40 hours/week
- Physical Demands: 75% Sitting 24% Standing 1% Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling 20 Pounds
- Vision requirements include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth and perception (three dimensional vision, ability to judge distance and spatial relationships), and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an object into sharp focus)
- Noise level ranges from quiet (examples: library, private office) to moderate (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
- Assists with the development, documentation and maintenance of written accounting procedures.
- Assists in other accounting functions as required.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the Controller.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgment in anticipating problems before they arise.
- Excellent attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- Proven time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with flexibility.
- Ability to effectively manage and track multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize, work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy, and meet stringent and overlapping deadlines.
- Demonstrated skills in teamwork and collaboration with colleagues, with varied skills and responsibilities meeting individual, departmental and organizational deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and customer service skills to work effectively with people of diverse talents and backgrounds.
- Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of spreadsheets and accounting software
- Understanding of confidentiality and protocol.
- Familiarity with nonprofit accounting.
- Museum experience.
- Experience in Financial Edge, or other financial software.
- Experience in Salesforce, or other CRM software.
- Experience in BNA, or other fixed asset software.
Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of Accounting or related work experience.
- Bilingual - Spanish/English.
- Experience working with volunteers.
Additional Requirements/Preferences; Including Licenses and Certifications:
- Pre-employment checks such as a criminal background check, credit check, and reference checks.
OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science & Industry
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science & Industry