Remember the last time you opened a bottle of champagne? A cold beer after a hard day’s work or a bottle of sparkling mineral water to quench your thirst? Well, it was probably made by us. We are O-I and we love that we make more glass containers than anyone in the world.
O-I has more than a century of experience crafting pure, sustainable, brand-building glass packaging for many of the world’s best-known food and beverage brands. We are proud to provide high quality glass packaging for beer, wine, spirits, food, non-alcoholic beverages, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
With nearly 27,000 employees and an unparalleled footprint spanning almost 80 plants in 23 countries, O-I is a truly global maker of glass packaging.
From engineering and manufacturing to brand development, design and innovation, we are dedicated to providing unique solutions to exceed our customers’ expectations and fuel consumers’ desire for glass.
As a Mechanical Engineer for O-I you will design and install glass manufacturing support systems for glass manufacturing facilities in a global environment. You will provide technical support for construction project development, design, planning, implementation and renovations. In this position you will provide operating and maintenance support of the applicable systems to the facilities. You will review new technology for glass manufacturing systems. In this role you will provide technical assistance on corporate programs and initiatives.
- Provide applicable engineering construction drawings of noted systems with engineering designs that meet the customer needs and standards / codes applicable to the customers country in cost effective manner.
- Provide and/or develop technical expertise to design, install, troubleshoot mechanical support systems including compressed air creation through end use, recirculated cooling water, process cooling air, conventional natural gas and Oxy-Fuel combustion on glass furnaces and conventional natural gas on forehearths, process vacuum systems, property and equipment fire protection systems, glass furnace exhaust emissions abatement systems, environmental compliance systems of air and surface water, general HVAC.
- Provide and/or develop technical expertise to design, install, troubleshoot material handling systems including, raw material unloading, conveying and storage, material weigh, conveying, mixing, delivery to the furnace, post mixer delivery weigh, distribution of colorant materials, dust containment methods during unloading, mixing and delivery of batch materials, unloading, crushing, storage, weigh and delivery of crushed glass cullet to the process, storage, weigh and delivery of furnace abatement emission dust collected for reuse in the glass making process, support to the Process control group for batching control systems.
- Provide and/or develop technical expertise to design, install, troubleshoot annealing issues, lehr set-up, and hot/cold end surface treatment.
- Provide technical expertise, project management oversite and leadership to third party engineering firms responsible for material handling project scope, design, install projects.
- Provide leadership to CAD designers to create effective economical drawing construction packages.
- Develop expertise on conception, design, field installation and maintenance of glass bottle coating applications involving vapor application, atomized liquid application systems and programming of this equipment.
- Provide support to corporate procurement involving equipment specifications, quoting, technical reviews of quote comparisons, vendor and company / national account initiatives.
- Provide support to corporate departments involving equipment, vendor and company / national account initiatives.
- Provide department management with budget, and scheduling requirements on all internal and third-party engineering projects.
- Provide on-site management of system construction, modification and troubleshooting.
- Provide input to Manufacturing for capital funding on systems to meet company long-term goals and needs and infrastructure support.
- Provide technical assistance conducting facility audits.
- Provide technical investigation of system and equipment failure root cause analysis incorporating corrective actions.
- Provide Interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and maintain positive working relationships applicable in a global environment.
- Provide technical support to all departments including R&D, Corporate Engineering and Americas South engineering team regarding project development, implementation, maintenance, modification/improvement, and training.
In this position you will report to the Americas North Facilities Engineering Discipline Leader.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5-7 years of experience
- Experience acting as a Project Manager for mechanical projects
- Intermediate level knowledge of AutoCAD & Windchill data management software.
- Knowledge of glass manufacturing process and related systems
- Professional Engineer, preferred
- LSS GB, or BB, desired
What We Offer:
- Opportunity for future growth and advancement
- Generous, Award-winning 401(k) plan w/ employer contribution & match
- Half Day Fridays
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Relaxed and contemporary dress code
- Education Assistance program
- Adoption Assistance program
- and much more…
If you are smart, passionate, innovative, culturally open, curious and collaborative, we’d like to hear from you. O-I is committed to fostering an inclusive environment that attracts and embraces the brightest minds and creates a culture that welcomes a diversity of ideas and perspectives while encouraging growth and rewarding performance.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis.
O-I is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact O-I at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.