NEI is seeking an experienced and motivated Media Relations Manager who can identify and pursue media and press opportunities across multiple platforms to advance the narrative of the Nuclear Energy industry. The Media Relations Manager should be a storyteller with an eye for what is newsworthy and relevant in a cluttered, fast-paced media landscape. The Media Relations Manager is responsible for promoting and executing media strategies that coordinate and identify opportunities to build new relationships. This person will be a partner in the communication division’s strategy development and brainstorming sessions. The manager will develop and maintain relationships with reporters and producers in the print, digital, and broadcast fields. This person will also correct misconceptions about nuclear energy and will work to persuade various audiences, through media, of the importance of nuclear energy in the political and societal landscape. He or she will work collaboratively and creatively with the content team to develop messaging that is both credible and compelling to media and reporters. This person will also work alongside communicators from member companies to align and support their efforts.
The Media Relations Manager will report to the Senior Manager of Media Relations and frequently interact with other members of the external communications team and across departments at NEI.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Drafting news releases, media advisories, talking points, statements, email pitches, briefing documents and other press-related materials in support of division objectives.
- Promoting NEI/industry representatives as key energy experts and spokespeople for media appearances and speaking engagements.
- Training and prepping NEI experts for media interviews.
- Pitching new story ideas for multiple media platforms.
- Monitoring and collecting news clips related to the industry,and determining if further action is needed.
- Following coverage issues and key reporters on social media.
- Creatively develop content for social media to engage reporters and media in conversations.
- Researching and identifying new relationships to enhance media coverage.
- Coordinating media efforts with member companies, third party organizations, congressional offices, other trade associations, and federal agencies.
- Staff media calls, in-person interviews, media roundtables, editorial boards and events.
- Publishing content on the NEI website and share news with press through mass email delivery system.
Additional Skills & Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to analyze complex issues in a comprehensive, newsworthy, and understandable way.
Knowledge of how newsrooms function and a deep understanding of the key elements necessary for news coverage across multiple platforms (i.e. podcasts, television, print, radio).
Knowledge of various software including reporter databases, content management systems and email delivery software, including Kentico, Magnet Mail or Muck Rack.
Effectively participate in strategic planning that reaches beyond traditional media platforms.
Persuasive written and verbal communication skills that will be leveraged to engage with reporters and media across multiple platforms.
Proficiency at relationship management and development, both with internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfort navigating in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities, and the ability to multi-task across projects and meet competing deadlines
- Minimum of five years of experience in Journalism or Media Relations.
- Experience in the Energy sector is preferred.
- Capitol Hill experience or working with or for Broadcast media is a plus.
- Several years of Media Relations or Journalism experience with increasing responsibility.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism (print or broadcast), or Public Relations.