Department/Program: Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics
Type of Employment: RegularHourly FT (100%FTE) x 1position(s)
Req ID: 34146
Union Status:NSGEU Off and Cler, Admin Professionals Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $19.8647 - $22.5734/hour
Posting Date: May 10, 2019
Closing Date: May 27, 2019
Start Date: 07/01/2019
The IWK Health Centre is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. The IWK is committed to a workplace where our staff, physicians, learners and volunteers reflect the patients, families and communities that we serve. We seek and encourage applicants who reflect our broad diversity, and we are committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer of Pediatrics, the administrative assistant provides support to designated members of the Division of Endocrinology. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Typing of correspondence; Transcription of reports; Answering phone calls and email messages; Processing mail; Coordinating and keeping physician schedules; Filing; Communicating with vendors and financial services; Managing research and academic accounts; Conducting library and internet searches; Maintaining database; Entering payroll; Coordinating schedules and orientation for trainees; Providing administrative support for teaching, research and committee work of division members.
Hours of Work
Monday – Friday, 7.0 hour shifts. Exact hours of work to be determined.
- Minimum High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Graduate of a recognized Office Administration program required
- Minimum six (6) months related administrative experience required. One (1) year is preferred.
- Medical Terminology and Dicta Typing experience required.
- A combination of equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer programs/technology is required. (Testing may be conducted on candidates).
- Keyboarding skills minimum of 40 w.p.m. required, 60 wpm is preferred. (Testing may be conducted on candidates).
- Excellent multitasking, organizational and prioritization skills required.
- Proven team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to respectfully work with a variety of inter-professional team members required.
- High degree of initiative, diligence, attention to detail, and self-discipline/focus required.
- Committed to continual learning and willing to share knowledge and support development of co-workers.
- Experience organizing case conferences, meetings, guest visits and teleconferences required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in bookkeeping required.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience with Access Database preferred.
- Experience in a related role in a health centre or university/academic environment preferred.
- Experience in Meditech, Outlook, PubMed, DalMedix, Adobe Acrobat, EndNote, EpiInfo, SharePoint, and the Internet an asset.
- Experience using SAP an asset.
- Experience taking and producing minutes an asset.
- Experience preparing research grant applications, manuscripts, protocols and reports an asset.
- Experience using university, hospital and online libraries an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to Family Centred Care required.
Thank you for your interest with the IWK Health Centre. Please sign in to create a profile and set-up Job Alerts for positions of interest.
Please Note: If you are an employee of the IWK Health Centre, please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant. Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.