The Office of Global Marketing and Communications (OGMC) provides an integrative approach to marketing communications at Northwestern. We use data and insight to develop strategy, translate strategy into creative solutions, and then amplify through appropriate channels. OGMC produces creative work to tell the university story quickly and nimbly across a number of different platforms. The Graphic Designer is responsible for providing art direction and graphic design for OGMC and University units/schools/departments. The Graphic Designer has a strong illustration background, with motion graphics expertise as a plus, and can help support and manage the Northwestern brand.
Graphic Design and Illustration
- Provide artistic and graphic design for university-wide and individual unit/school/department projects.
- Design for digital, video, web, environmental, presentations, and print.
- Create hand-drawn digital illustrations, as well as animate illustrations
- Work with the Director of Creative Production, the Chief Creative Officer and the OGMC team to provide strategic and creative solutions to uphold and enhance the Northwestern brand.
- Create mockups to visualize ideas and concepts for digital, print, environmental, and video.
- Review the work of University entities and provide direction and feedback.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with fellow marketers and designers across the University.
- Serve as the point-of-contact for University brand guidelines-related questions.
- Review and/or assist in the development of individual unit/school brand guidelines.
- Manage the brand tools website.
- Provide brand guideline consultations for new creative hires and offer quarterly training sessions.
- Manage the distribution of University typography, graphic elements, and wordmarks.
- Create lockups for University units.
- 5+ professional years of design experience in an agency, business, non-profit or academic arena.
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, with an emphasis in InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects and Illustrator.
- Ability to draw
- Creative Thinker: Ability to look at problems or situations from a fresh perspective.
- Self-Starter: Excited by the opportunities, resourcefulness and nimbleness required of a new office start-up.
- Excellent Communicator: Uses varied vehicles and opportunities to promote dialogue and develop shared understanding and consensus. Maintains continuous, open and consistent dialogue with others.
- Technologically Savvy: Possess working knowledge of the use of technology with a specific emphasis on the Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suites of software products.
- Critical and Analytical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Ability to review and dissect information and can apply analytic concepts and calculations.
- Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Problem Sensitivity: The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment (and working with employees at all levels of the organization), meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Animation and/ or motion graphic experience, 2D and 3D a plus
Job ID: 35351
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Job Title: Senior Graphic Designer