INTERNAL/EXTERNAL POSTING: JOB REQUISITION #3030
POSTING DATES: February 12, 2020 through February 26, 2020
Step 1 Apprentice Operator to Operator - 2 positions
(1) with Instrumentation Controls & Electrical (IC&E) experience preferred
(1) with Mechanical experience preferred
Union Rate ($24.50 to $40.83)
SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION
The Operator is responsible for operating natural gas power plants in a safe and accident-free manner and to maintain compliance with environmental permits and regulatory guidelines.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- All NorthWestern Energy employees are required to adhere to company safety standards and the Code of Business Conduct & Ethics
- Ensure all actions are consistent with NorthWestern Energy's values, mission, and strategic business objectives
- Perform all operations and maintain the power plant in a safe, reliable, and compliant manner
- Comply and follow all site safety requirements and procedures, including documented procedures and guidelines of external agencies
- Identify safety hazards and take corrective actions as necessary
- Receive and respond to Southwest Power Pool ("SPP") generation requests. A dispatch call may require a 10 minute response time from startup to full load to comply with SPP guidelines.
- Maintain power generation and safeguard station equipment during emergency situations
- Perform startup and shutdown of main plant components and auxiliaries
- Perform routine operational tests and adjustments on all power plant systems and components as required
- Conduct routine inspections of plant systems and equipment including reading and recording gauges and meters
- Perform routine cycle chemistry testing and make necessary adjustments to optimize efficiency; this includes checking daily consumption rates of chemicals, gases, fuels, water, and other consumables; monitoring inventories and initiating action to replenish when appropriate
- Investigate and trouble shoot problems with plant power generation including turbine control equipment and electrical and mechanical systems; provide follow-up reports/analysis as needed
- Represent NorthWestern Energy and interact effectively and responsibly with internal company employees and external agencies; includes providing feedback to production teams and operators
- Issue Lockout/Tagouts as required
- Maintain accurate operating logs, records, time sheets, work orders and other administrative documents related to the power plant; complete any other required paper work, computer work, and documentation
- Maintain and update plant operating manuals, technical references, prints and diagrams and preventive/predictive maintenance records; develop and revise plant operation and maintenance procedures
- Perform preventive and predictive maintenance duties on all major equipment and systems as well as emergency backup systems
- Inspect, repair, install, and remove all types of electrical equipment including motors, generators, transformers, breakers, switches, control equipment, wiring, electrical signal and communication systems, and storage batteries
- Troubleshoot and correct, various instrumentation, mechanical, electrical, and human machine interface issues.
- Assemble, disassemble, repair, and adjust all types of mechanical equipment
- Set up and operate machine shop tools and complete machine work to close tolerances; align and balance rotating equipment
- Perform shipping and receiving duties including material handling, operating forklift, and monitoring inventory; issue, receive and maintain spare parts inventory to ensure plant reliability
- Perform and maintain housekeeping standards and duties including sweeping, mopping, taking out trash, shoveling snow, or operating Bobcat to clear snow from main entry ways
- Use appropriate PPE
- Must be able to work rotating shift work between the hours of 6am-midnight and occasional weekends and holidays as generation commitments are requested.
- Rotating weekend standby
- Safely perform individual lifts of parts, equipment, and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds from floor to high chest level (less than 52" height)
Marginal Work Functions
*These functions may be considered essential based on location and other factors.
- Drive to plant or satellite plant locations*
- Adapt to technological changes as they are implemented*
- Perform minor carpentry tasks and repairs
- Demonstrate and maintain a good safety record
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Degree from an accredited Instrument Technician Program and 2-years work experience preferred
- 3 years operations and maintenance experience in gas turbine electrical power generation preferred
- Knowledge in working with systems up to 13.8 kV volts preferred
- Knowledge and experience with installing and troubleshooting instrumentation and control equipment, relaying, and interface equipment including alarms, data loggers, historians, and Plant Information (PI).
- Ability to work well with others and be self-directed.
- Apply creative solutions to unique mechanical and IC&E problems preferred
- Must be able to effectively work with plant drawings
- Ability to complete assigned training
- Valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record
- First Aid/CPR Certification preferred
- Forklift operation certification preferred
- Commitment to safe working practices and knowledge of safety policies/procedures
- Must be able to comply with stringent smoking restrictions in and around the facility
When considering applicants for this position, the selection process will take into consideration the needs of NorthWestern, including such factors as reorganization requirements, diversity opportunities, relocation requirements, employee development and job succession. If any of the preceding language conflicts with the applicable bargaining unit agreements, the bargaining unit agreement will prevail.
External applicants should apply online at http://www.northwesternenergy.com. Internal applicants should apply online at iConnect. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act, should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources department via phone at 1-800-245-6977, or via email at email@example.com.
Human Resources Department Job # 3030
3010 West 69th Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal or state laws and statutes.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro