Hope Academy - Elementary Teacher
Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter Bentonville, AR
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The mission of Hope Academy of Northwest Arkansas is to provide students with a safe, positive trauma-informed academic environment that will nurture their love for learning and confidence in life.
On October 10, 2019, the Arkansas Department of Education Board of Directors unanimously ratified the Arkansas Charter Authorizing Panel approval of Hope Academy of Northwest Arkansas. Hope Academy, the first trauma-informed school in Arkansas, opened in August 2020.Job Description
- Create an atmosphere for students that operationalizes our mission.
- Provide individualized high quality classroom instruction and oversight of the children.
- Develop and utilize appropriate lesson plans and other activities which stimulate and encourage the educational and social development of each child.
- Provide active teaching activities that are tailored to each child’s current educational level, individual strengths and emotional needs.
- Directly provide day-to-day educational instruction and classroom management and work with others who also provide care for the children.
- Maintain accurate student records.
- Maintain an orderly and safe classroom environment.
- Build an environment that considers all aspects of wellness: nutrition, health, safety, decisions and choices, mental, as well as physical well-being.
- Monitor and document daily the progress of all children in the classroom and take appropriate actions to increase each child’s progress.
- Sustain relationships that result in active student engagement in the learning process.
- Attend required staff and district meetings.
- Complete and participate in required building and district professional development activities.
- Teaching certification and/or bachelor’s degree in education with certifications in math and English.
- Demonstrated experience providing trauma-informed education or special education services.
- Maintain a valid Arkansas Teacher’s Certification.
- Prefer experience in Special Education Services.
- Physical ability to use authorized techniques for management of aggressive behaviors.
- Prior experience implementing Conscious Discipline and TBRI a plus.
- Flexible and adaptive style; an individual who can positively serve the varying needs of children who have been traumatized.
Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands
The demands described are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Physical stamina and agility required to care for active children.
- As required, provide supervision for lunch duty, recesses, and field trips, etc.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Must pass all criminal history and child maltreatment background checks.
- Must submit to pre-employment drug screen as well as random drug screens when directed.
- Valid driver's license, proof of personal automobile insurance, and acceptable driving record required to drive shelter vehicle for shelter business.
- Attend and participate in mandatory trainings, staff meetings, and all other events, as required.
- Maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner per Hope Academy procedures.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter/Hope Academy reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs. Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter/Hope Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter
EducationView all jobs at Northwest Arkansas Children's Shelter