- Some experience in menu planning, including the quantity, quality, and variety of food to be purchased.
- Ability to interpret nutritional assessment data provides nutrition counseling for families, and in other ways promotes good nutrition habits among children and families.
- Some expertise in assisting staff in dealing with children with feeding problems or special nutritional needs.
- Possession of Department of Health training certificate, or ability to obtain one once hired.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Valid Food Handlers certification
Under the supervision of the Head Cook, the Assistant Cook shall be responsible for:
- Assisting in food preparation, service and clean-up.
- Carrying out safety, sanitation and hygiene regulations.
- Maintaining proper storage and control of waste, including recycling.
- Assisting Head Cook in planning menu according to CACFP nutritional guidelines and in cooperation with parents and Head Start Staff.
- Assisting Head Cook in purchasing and maintaining proper receiving of foods.
- Assisting Head Cook in record keeping-purchases, inventory, and meals served etc.
- Maintaining equipment and kitchen area
- Participating in all appropriate meetings and trainings.
- Assisting Head Cook with budget planning (Food Service Costs).
Parent and Classroom Involvement:
- Participating in classroom food related learning activities.
- Assisting Head Cook during socializations on parent nutrition.
- Assisting Head Cook in planning menu, preparing and serving food for evening center events
Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred.