At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come.
Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Supplier Development Engineer to provide leadership to our DefenseElectronic Systemsteam in ourNorthridge, CAoffice.
The Sr. Princ. Supplier Development Engineer (SDE) position requires in-depth knowledge of manufacturing processes used in aerospace product & component development, basic business and project management skills as well as root cause/corrective action skills. This position will report through the Supply Chain Management organization.
The SDE will be engaged on multiple supplier development and sustaining projects. The SDE will be chartered to assess the current state of supplier capacity/throughput and identify areas where risk can be reduced in order to achieve increased production rates. Additionally, the SDE will be responsible for identifying/managing new sources of supply to allow for program risk and cost reduction.
- Represent NGIS on supplier development projects. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed. Work assignments may include cross-functional or project team responsibilities (e.g. continuous improvement). Develops project goals and objectives to complete complex or major supplier engineering projects by reviewing quality performance trends, statistical plans, cost estimates, quality plans, and conferring with management. Ensures project meets schedule, cost results, and technical expectations through effective project leadership.
- Determines supplier engineering project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements, assigning staffing and resources, and reviewing bids from outside contractors.
- Create a 12 month strategic improvement plan for each supplier
- Conduct Supplier survey and capacity assessment evaluation
- Supplier capacity studies and second source recommendations
- Optimize processes and propose changes for Producibility
- Reduce risk of production disruption (Single Point Failures, Bottlenecks, Poor Yield, etc)
- Responsible for performing material should cost studies and creating Business Case Analysis (BCA)
- Participate in Design or process change review
- Lead the procurement initiative on transforming our supplier base (rationalization, re-sourcing) by supporting with supplier assessment and development in line with compliance, risk management, cost, quality, delivery and services targets
- Support make/buy decisions
- Leads new product introduction with supporting cross-functional teams
- Continually participate and lead Cost Reductions and Cost Avoidances
- Develop positive relationships and work closely with Procurement and IPTs to manage, implement and track new product introductions and outsourcing
- Identify and partner with suppliers to industrialize new or evolving materials and technologies
- Interface with IPTs to prioritize supplier development needs by component to improve cost competitiveness or supply constraints
- Research external market information and entrepreneurial companies to identify potential new sources and suppliers
- Drive supplier selection through robust qualification processes
- Drive improvements utilizing Lean methodologies, supplier scorecards and supplier audits, ensuring supplier compliance while driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver value
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Review and assess supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems. Provide feedback, as appropriate, on manufacturing methods and technologies. Manage supplier improvement plans
- Collaborate with teams, lead projects and continuously drive improvement in the supply base
- Ability to travel 20-40% of the time
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, materials, supply chain, management, business or technical discipline and at least 10 years of closely related experience required.
- 5+ years' experience as a Supplier Development or Supplier Quality Engineer or closely related function required.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and assess for manufacturing capabilities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office required including strong skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
- Proficiency in project management skills with the ability to close initiatives on time
- Proactively contributes to the team
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction
- Assertive, optimistic, resilient and welcoming of change
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention-to-detail, self-direction and courage
- Ability to succinctly communicate status and needed actions, often urgently, to all levels of the organization
- Certified Lean Expert and Six Sigma certification strongly preferred. Lean manufacturing experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with Aerospace/Defense products or related products and customers strongly preferred.
9 Years of experience with a BS; 7 yearsexperience with a Masters; 4 years experience with a PhD in related discipline.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering