Position Summary: This is a Charge Nurse position responsible for the supervision of direct care staff such as LPN and MHT, delivery of compassionate care for the patients and residents. Delivery of quality general and psychiatric nursing care to patients with emotional, developmental or psychiatric disorders; serve actively and constructively as a member of the multi-disciplinary treatment team and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of each patient ensures
- Oversee as well as supervises direct care staff, makes assignments, assigns breaks and lunches, assures completion of duties, counsel’s staff and documents performance. Monitors unit functions as a whole responding to situations or task as directed or assigned.
- Conducts nursing assessments on patients documenting outcomes of assessments as well as other details as needed
- Attends to the medical complaints and concerns of patients in a timely and responsive manner.
- Processes admissions and discharges
- Oversees all seclusion & restraint episodes obtaining required orders and assessments as needed
- Ensures accurate completion of incident reports, paperwork, and notification of incidents to the requesting and mandatory reporting team members.
- Provides health education, including medication information, to patients & their families as needed. Provides notification of incidents, medical concerns, medication changes to families & referral sources. Perform body audits on patients at medication administration times, admissions, discharges, and other needed times. Take vital sign documenting as needed. Chart on the MAR as required as well as completing shift count.
- Communicates effectively and in a professional manner with all patients, residents, and team members. Attends shift change, reads and updates communication binder, communicates with the medical and clinical team for patient/resident care needs. Ensures communication between staff and nursing department throughout each shift about patient concerns
- Prepares and meets are requirements for Joint Commission, DHH, and affiliated NBHS companies. Follows NBHS policy and procedures as directed and acknowledged at hire. Is aware and follows National Patient Safety Goals & provides education to staff about these.
- Follows any special protocols and provides for all necessary of medical care, procedures or treatment for patients. Ensures patients/residents are safe at all times (responding to codes, elopements, and other associated threats. Responds to codes such as but not limited to: Code Green, Code Blue, Dr. Freeman.
- Complete 24-hours nursing assessments documenting findings per protocol. Nurse’s station duties such as: Orders, flagging files, responding to orders/labs, phones, faxes, company emails, and all other duties required for the position or assigned.
- Secures necessary consents for treatment & notifies staff, families & agency reps. of all medical procedures, tests & outcomes
- All other duties required or assigned
Education: Graduate of an accredited school or college of nursing. BSN or BS preferred.
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year of supervisor or leadership experience preferred
Competency: Position & Age-Related
Licensure/Certification: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Louisiana. CPR and CPI certifications required.
Other: Demonstrates sound leadership skills and utilizes these skills in organizing the activities and schedules for medical and/or non-medical tasks of the unit for a given shift; record of consistently high quality of clinical and interpersonal skills to be an exemplary role model to others. Assertive communication; skills at counseling staff; personnel management
HIPAA: Has access to and adds information to the Medical Record. May only access medical records of assigned patients