Northgate Environmental Management, Inc., an environmental science and engineering firm headquartered in Oakland, California, is recruiting for a project level civil or environmental engineer. The ideal candidate for this position has the skills to apply knowledge to a variety of environmental projects, including field engineering, oversight of remediation, storm water management, cost estimation, and preparation of engineering design documents including design drawings. Responsibilities will include performing site inspections, collecting environmental samples, logging soil borings, managing and analyzing environmental data, cost estimating, preparing graphs and maps, and writing clear, concise field notes and reports under the supervision of senior licensed professional engineers and geologists. Applicants should be well-organized, professional, and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills suitable for subcontractor or client interface. We are seeking a highly motivated self-starter who can prioritize duties and assist as needed in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
· Assisting with storm water treatment design, operation and monitoring
· Assisting with wetland and creek restoration and flood control design
· Assisting with hydrology/hydraulic studies, modeling, and review using a variety of software (e.g. Civil-3D or HEC-HMS) including to compute hydrologic flow rates and runoff for water sheds. Calculate runoff volumes for small water sheds using methods such as the Modified Rational Method
· Assisting with engineering design and analysis related to urban storm water systems including pipe design and natural waterways
· Assisting with remedial investigation, design, and implementation
· Preparing engineering documents, including drawings, specifications, and calculations, using a variety of software (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Excel)
· Preparing permit applications and ensuring compliance with approved permits
· Performing construction oversight, including field inspections and environmental (water, soil, soil gas, air) monitoring and sampling, and preparing clear, thorough, and concise field documentation.
· Writing reports under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer
· Working with Northgate geologists to install monitoring wells and log soil borings
· Managing or monitoring the storage, handling, and disposal of water and/or soil
· Synthesizing and analyzing environmental data
· Assisting with project proposals and preparing bid documentation
· BS or MS degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering
· 2 to 5 years of related job experience
· Familiarity with environmental investigation and assessment methods, earthwork and construction management, and hydrology/hydraulic studies and modeling
· Self-starter, resourceful, and organized with the ability to work productively and independently on multiple projects concurrently under strict deadlines and budgets
· Strong attention to detail, with excellent analytical judgment and problem-solving capabilities
· Willingness to work in the field (requires lifting and moderately strenuous physical activity) and to travel when necessary
· Personable with excellent verbal and written communication skills (high proficiency in English required)
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Autodesk Civil 3D
Previous environmental consulting experience, EIT registration, QSD/P certification, PE license, and/or current OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification is a plus.
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience
Multiple positions may be filled.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Human Resources, with “Project Civil/Environmental Engineer” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Northgate is an equal opportunity employer.