Truck & Equipment Mechanic, Grand Forks
Northern Plains Railroad Grand Forks, ND
- Posted: over a month ago
Mechanics are responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic components on Heavy-duty trucks, construction equipment, & tractor-trailers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities but are not limited to:
- Operating, inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing department vehicles and equipment.
- Routine servicing and overhauling of machines and diesel engines.
- DOT and Hi-Rail Inspections.
- Replacing working components and appropriately assembling/reassembling equipment.
- Checking electrical and hydraulic systems to ensure proper function.
- Performing preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers specifications.
- Schedule and maintain records of service and engine repairs.
- Must fill out, maintain, and produce accurate and up-to-date production reports.
- Communicate with Supervisors and operators to discuss maintenance needs and priorities.
- Must be able to trouble shoot and/or diagnose machine problems to ensure steady production in the field
- Order parts on their own and communicate with the mechanical supervisor and/or vehicle/equipment operator.
- Maintaining inventory of spare parts and placing necessary orders.
- Weld or Solder broken parts and structural members, using electric or gas welders and soldering tools.
- Fabricate needed parts of items from sheet metal.
- Conduct training activities.
- Maintain clean and safe work area.
- Able to perform duties at high level with limited supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to detect technical malfunctions in the machines.
- Sound understanding of using all repair tools, equipment and testing machinery.
- Must follow company and federal safety rules, policy, and procedures.
- Wear prescribed safety apparel.
- Take appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of crew or other personnel./li>
- Read and comply with train orders, signals, railroad rules, and regulation.
- Strong Mechanical Background in diesel mechanics, small engine repair, hydraulic systems, heavy equipment, welding, metal fabrication, and electrical diagnostics and repair.
- Valid driver's license.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
- Continuous: Walking, standing for long periods of time and balancing.
- Frequent: Driving, hearing & vision, kneeling, ascend/descend ladders and stairs, stooping, twisting, push/pull tools & equipment.
- Occasional: Sitting, bending, lifting, climbing, crawling, crouching, reaching, and reaching above & below shoulder. Must be able to lift & carry 10-50 lbs. occasionally. Throw/align a switch.
- Rare: Lift & carry over 50 lbs.
- May require travel to various facilities and provide additional services.
- Continuous: Exposure to electrical hazards, stand on concrete, works with others, concentration, eye/hand coordination.
- Frequent: Works in cramped quarters, exposure to dust & smoke, fumes, odors, grease, oil, works in hot & cold temperatures, travel required & on-call, works inside & outside, noise, wet conditions, problem solving, oral & written communications, organization, interpersonal skills, perception, creativity, working with interruptions, works on feet-foot pedals, dexterity with fingering-picking, pinching, calculator, and handling, holding & grasping. Prepares reports.
- Occasional: Exposure to chemicals, vibration, walk on uneven or slippery surface, works alone, works with moving machinery, analytical ability & calculating, repetitive flexion/rotation wrist motion.
- Rare: Exposure to toxic materials, shift work & money handling.
Education and Training:
- GED or higher.
- 2 – 3 years of experience working as a diesel mechanic.
Department: Complete Track Works
Reports to: Mechanical Supervisor
Job Status: Full Time
Schedule: Varies. M-F, 07:00-15:30, additional hours as necessary. Travel required 15%
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
Northern Plains Railroad
AddressGrand Forks, ND
AutomotiveView all jobs at Northern Plains Railroad