Truck & Equipment Mechanic, Grand Forks
Northern Plains Railroad Grand Forks, ND
- Posted: over a month ago
Mechanics are responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic components on Heavy-duty trucks, construction equipment, & tractor-trailers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities but are not limited to:
- Operating, inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing department vehicles and equipment.
- Routine servicing and overhauling of machines and diesel engines.
- DOT and Hi-Rail Inspections.
- Replacing working components and appropriately assembling/reassembling equipment.
- Checking electrical and hydraulic systems to ensure proper function.
- Performing preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers specifications.
- Schedule and maintain records of service and engine repairs.
- Must fill out, maintain, and produce accurate and up-to-date production reports.
- Communicate with Supervisors and operators to discuss maintenance needs and priorities.
- Must be able to trouble shoot and/or diagnose machine problems to ensure steady production in the field
- Order parts on their own and communicate with the mechanical supervisor and/or vehicle/equipment operator.
- Maintaining inventory of spare parts and placing necessary orders.
- Weld or Solder broken parts and structural members, using electric or gas welders and soldering tools.
- Fabricate needed parts of items from sheet metal.
- Conduct training activities.
- Maintain clean and safe work area.
- Able to perform duties at high level with limited supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to detect technical malfunctions in the machines.
- Sound understanding of using all repair tools, equipment and testing machinery.
- Must follow company and federal safety rules, policy, and procedures.
- Wear prescribed safety apparel.
- Take appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of crew or other personnel./li>
- Read and comply with train orders, signals, railroad rules, and regulation.
- Strong Mechanical Background in diesel mechanics, small engine repair, hydraulic systems, heavy equipment, welding, metal fabrication, and electrical diagnostics and repair.
- Valid driver's license.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
- Continuous: Walking, standing for long periods of time and balancing.
- Frequent: Driving, hearing & vision, kneeling, ascend/descend ladders and stairs, stooping, twisting, push/pull tools & equipment.
- Occasional: Sitting, bending, lifting, climbing, crawling, crouching, reaching, and reaching above & below shoulder. Must be able to lift & carry 10-50 lbs. occasionally. Throw/align a switch.
- Rare: Lift & carry over 50 lbs.
- May require travel to various facilities and provide additional services.
- Continuous: Exposure to electrical hazards, stand on concrete, works with others, concentration, eye/hand coordination.
- Frequent: Works in cramped quarters, exposure to dust & smoke, fumes, odors, grease, oil, works in hot & cold temperatures, travel required & on-call, works inside & outside, noise, wet conditions, problem solving, oral & written communications, organization, interpersonal skills, perception, creativity, working with interruptions, works on feet-foot pedals, dexterity with fingering-picking, pinching, calculator, and handling, holding & grasping. Prepares reports.
- Occasional: Exposure to chemicals, vibration, walk on uneven or slippery surface, works alone, works with moving machinery, analytical ability & calculating, repetitive flexion/rotation wrist motion.
- Rare: Exposure to toxic materials, shift work & money handling.
Education and Training:
- GED or higher.
- 2 – 3 years of experience working as a diesel mechanic.
Department: Complete Track Works
Reports to: Mechanical Supervisor
Job Status: Full Time
Schedule: Varies. M-F, 07:00-15:30, additional hours as necessary. Travel required 15%
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.