Mobile Railcar Repair Mechanic - Central/Western North Dakota
- Posted: over a month ago
Mobile Railcar Repair Mechanic - Western North Dakota (Full-Time)
Location: Minot, Bismarck, Mandan, New Town or surrounding city
Job Type: Mechanic
Mobile Railcar Repair Mechanic (Full-Time)
Location: Western North Dakota
Job Type: Laborer
Department: Mechanical Car
Reports to: Mobile Repair Unit Manager
Location: Western North Dakota
Job Status: Full Time
Schedule: Monday through Friday, (hours may vary based on jobs). Overtime and possibly on-call. Daily travel - 100%; Overnight travel – up to 30%.
As directed by the Mobile Repair Unit Manager, assists in the maintenance and repair of rail cars.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities but are not limited to:
- Stencil letters and numbers on cars.
- Fasten parts of car using impact wrench or hydraulic bolt fastener for riveting.
- Remove and replace brake assemblies and brake shoes.
- Remove and replace uncoupling lever.
- Repair or replace steel sections such as side posts, rafters, crossties, panels, under framing, and piping using welding torch, electric welder, power wrench, and hand tools.
- Replace and/or repair gaskets, air hose, train line, etc., as required.
- Straighten and/or replace grab irons, handholds, still steps on cars.
- Maintain, repair, or replace air brake pipes, valves, fitting, or other appurtenances.
- Remove and replace couplers, draft gears, and yokes.
- Clean and prepare surfaces of railroad cars or cabooses to be painted.
- Repair freight car sides, ends, doors and floors by burning, straightening, or patching.
- Pull, push, and position heavy equipment or car components when making or completing repairs.
- Other duties as assigned by foreman or manager.
- Ability to throw/align a switch.
- Ability to be trained as track mobile operator and/or ground-man.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Valid driver’s license required with individual driver record compliant with Total TransCare’s motor vehicle insurance eligibility requirements. Class B CDL is preferred.
- Good mechanical background will be required to become conversant with the General Code of Operating Rules, Safety Rules, AAR Rules and regulations, and FRA requirements.
- Welding and machine experience preferred.
- Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Be able to read and understand safety rules, instructions in the use and maintenance of shop tools and equipment, and methods and procedures in mechanical drawing and layout work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
- Continuous: Work outside on or near railroad tracks, (most of day spent standing). Grasping hand & track tools, materials & equipment. Vision & hearing while on duty, balancing.
- Frequent: Must be able to perform manual labor consisting of lifting & carrying 10-50 lbs, bending, and working at ground level in all types of weather. Balancing, crouching, reaching above & below shoulder level, stooping and walking. Throw and align a switch.
- Occasional: Must be able to lift and carry 50 to 100 lbs, climbing on & off equipment or machines, driving, kneeling, squatting, ascend & descend ladders, sitting, ascend & descend stairs, twisting.
- Push up to 50 lbs; pull up to 100 lbs, climb/be on high structures (12-20’); contained spaces.
- Rare: crawling, jogging, sitting
- Continuous: Must be able to work outdoors in all extreme weather conditions. Must wear appropriate safety equipment such as safety glasses, hard hats, safety footwear, and hearing protection as required. Exposure to dust. Being on uneven and hard surfaces.
- Frequent: Noise
- Occasional: Vibration, works at heights.
Education and Training:
- GED or higher
“NPR is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected under local, state or federal statute, ordinance, or regulation.”
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned
Northern Plains Railroad
AutomotiveView all jobs at Northern Plains Railroad
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?