Saw Filer - Sawmill 2nd Shift
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
This position is responsible for ensuring peak saw performance through the regular inspection, sharpening, repair, and installation of all saw blades.
- Performs regular saw inspections, looking for worn or damaged blades
- Operates the grinder to sharpen double cut blades, long side bands, carbide saws, gang saws and edger saws
- Replaces saws according to saw replacement schedule
- Welds saws
- Trains the Filer Assistants
- Operates and maintains stretcher rolls
- Maintains the filing room and its machinery
- Performs all other duties assigned by supervisor
- Report all injuries, accidents, near misses, unsafe conditions, or practices to your supervisor or lead person immediately.
- Personal protective equipment, hearing protection, hard hat, safety shoes, safety glasses, side shields must be worn in designated areas.
- Cross conveyors and roll cases only where walkways are present.
- Wear welding goggles and gloves when observing or performing fuel gas welding or cutting. Wear an approved welding mask when electric welding.
- Wear safety glasses under a welder’s mask or goggles.
- Turn off oxygen and acetylene tank valves, back off regulators completely and relieve pressure in the hoses when the torch is not in use.
- Fasten cylinders securely in an upright position at all times.
- A cutting and welding permit must be completed before attempting a weld or cut.
- Perform a fire inspection immediately after any welding or cutting.
- No welding or cutting may be done without adequate ventilation.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or a water supply immediately available during any cutting or welding.
Education: High School or equivalent
Experience: 2 years
This job description is not to be considered an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. The employer reserves the right to modify this job description as circumstances warrant.
Northern Hardwoods Lumber is a premium hardwood lumber manufacturing facility with locations in Atlantic Mine and Newberry, Michigan. Please visit www.northernhardwoods.com for more information.
Northern Hardwoods is a portfolio company of J.M. Longyear, a privately-held asset based manager with 150 years of experience growing long-term value. Longyear's interests span a vast spectrum of markets that include: forestry & land management, mining & metals, hardwood products, manufacturing, real estate and medical device products. Please visit www.jmlongyear.com for more information.
Northern Hardwoods Lumber
AddressAtlantic Mine, MI
ManufacturingView all jobs at Northern Hardwoods Lumber