Northern Seminary seeks an energetic, service oriented and collaborative professional to serve as the Director of Library Services & Technology. The ideal candidate will be responsible for providing high-quality, robust systems that facilitate search, discovery, and delivery of library services and resources to all the Northern campuses. Additionally, this role will be responsible for the management of our remote learning platform which uses Populi, Pathwright, and Zoom. The ideal candidate will take leadership of the transition of the Northern Seminary library to an all-digital future.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Dean of Academic Affairs, the Director of Library Services & Technology is a key position. This role works collaboratively with a wide range of libraries and units to support the discoverability of library sources in both the physical and digital realms. The Director of Library Services and Technology is tasked with support of current systems and works on projects to deliver new services to better support a research focused environment.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Evidence of ability to articulate a system perspective for a multi-library campus and effectively implement a collaboratively developed vision for search, discovery, and delivery services in a complex research library environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with library directors and staff of different libraries in order to provide high-quality search and discovery services that meet the needs of diverse users throughout the seminary community.
- Knowledge of current and recent industry trends in search, discovery, and delivery systems.
- Ability to develop, implement, and assess business proposals and plans specifically information technology proposals and projects.
- Demonstrated understanding of client/server environment, and some experience with software applications needed to administer application environments.
- Demonstrated proficiency and capabilities with personal computers and software, the Web, remote learning platforms, and library-relevant information technology applications. Working knowledge of standard computer office applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint or other productivity software.
- Ability to support the delivery of remote learning through our Northern Live technology
- Commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty and student population.
- Capacity to thrive in an ambiguous, future-oriented environment of a growing institution and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
- Three or more years professional experience working as a Librarian or professional with evidence of broad, in-depth technology and systems knowledge, skills, and experience in one or more areas of library systems – library automation/integrated library systems, library technology, search and discovery, Web services, etc. – in an academic/research or public library setting.
- One year or more experience managing online instructional technology.
- Working knowledge and direct experience with integrated library systems and related search and discovery products (such as Ex Libris, Alma, Primo) and demonstrated understanding of the trends related to the ongoing development of such library systems and of emerging technologies and systems within this arena of library technology and automation.
- Knowledge of cataloging principles, including MARC and RDA, is desired.
Education and Work Experience:
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science OR equivalent education and experience relevant to the position.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Duties are performed indoors in a classroom environment.
- The employee is regularly required to sit; to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; to navigate computer programs and enter data via keyboard or equivalent means; to talk and to hear; to open doors and travel between floors by either stairs or an elevator.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- This is a fulltime, exempt position. Weekend and week-long intensive courses can also occur.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Statement of Faith
- Northern Seminary is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates.
- Northern Seminary seeks candidates who are dedicated followers of Christ, have a sincere desire to be an integral part of the mission of the Seminary, and a demonstrated commitment to Northern’s statement of faith and standard of conduct.
Northern Baptist Theological Seminary
Why Work Here?
Innovative and fast paced, great benefits and perks, exceptional 403B match.