Ensuring the achievement of Northern Arizona Healthcare's mission, the Charge RN, under the supervision of the Clinical Manager/Director, is responsible for overseeing and directing the patient care activities on the unit during a worked shift. When providing leadership to the department, the Charge RN acts as an advocate for the shift, making sure the Clinical Manager/Director are aware of the unique needs of the shift. The Charge RN provides leadership for nursing personnel by being a team leader, serving as a preceptor, and being an active member of the health care team. The Charge RN practices within the ANA Scope of Practice, the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses and the standards of his/ or her specialty.
* Addresses patient and family concerns, communicates issues and solutions through appropriate channels.
* Documents incidents, events, interventions, and patient/staff/physician responses.
* Serves as patient advocate.
* Prioritize and problems solves to meet changes in patient status/condition.
* Works with other departments to ensure smooth patient throughput processes including discharge planning and patient education as appropriate.
* Collaborates with physicians and other health care professionals to ensure staffing patterns meet appropriate skill mix necessary for quality patient care.
* Serves as a liaison with patients, physicians, Administrative Coordinator, Staffing Office, Transfer Center, Care Coordination department, unit staff, ancillary staff and departments.
* Serves as a resource, assists staff in caring for patients; able to assist physician with order entry.
* Staffing for current and next shift, determining appropriate staff levels and mix to provide quality care and maintain unit productivity.
* Assign patient care teams, delegate patient care activities to unit and ancillary staff.
* Addresses work flow issues, ensures incidents are appropriately documented and corrective steps are taken.
* Makes bed assignment based on patient needs and staff resources.
* Identifies appropriate referral and educational resources for patients and staff.
* Advocates for both patients and staff as needs arise.
* Demonstrated knowledge of NAH and department policies and procedures. Works to ensure compliance of best practice amongst each staff member.
Coaching and Development:
* Ensures staff accountability, monitors staff performance, and provides real time constructive feedback whenever possible.
* Identifies performance opportunities for improvement and provides resources and education as needed.
* Regularly recognizes employees for strong performance and improvements.
* Writes and delivers employee performance evaluations.
* Collaborates and communicates with the clinical manager regarding staff performance.
* Provides coaching to nursing staff.
* Provides input to nursing leadership regarding employment actions including performance evaluation, promotion, corrective action and termination on a regular basis.
* Participates in creating and sustaining a learning environment supported by evidenced based practice and research.
* Focuses on personal development areas, engaging in professional/collegial interactions with peers and students.
* Works collaboratively with peers and other health care providers, and participating in ongoing in-service and educational seminars.
* Participates in the mentoring and education of colleagues and students.
* Responsible for reporting any safety related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
* Adheres to regulatory and organizational standards affecting patient care and safety as well as all hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Practices in a safe and cost effective manner.
* Stays current and complies with state and federal regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employees area of responsibility.
* If required for position, ensures all certifications and/or licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
* Completes all company mandatory modules and required job specific training in the specified time frame.
* Maintains timely and accurate documentation of assessments, interventions, EMR entries, and patient responses.
Must be enrolled into a BSN program within 1 year from date of acceptance and obtain within 3 years of employment.
**For employees currently in Charge Nurse roles, must have BSN degree no later than December 31, 2020. If current Charge Nurse intends to retire within 5 years, this requirement is waived.
Certification and Licensure:
Required for all RN's:
Active, unrestricted, Arizona RN License or valid, participating compact license- Required
BLS (American Heart Assoc.)- Required
OB/Women & Infants
BLS- Required upon hire
OB ACLS- Required upon hire
NRP- Required upon hire
S.T.A.B.L.E.- Required upon hire
Advanced Fetal Monitoring- Required upon hire
Minimum of one (1) year experience as an RN- Preferred
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs
Requisition ID: 2019-5439
Street: 269 S, Candy Ln
Full Name: First Last: ALLISON GREGG
Email Address: Allison.email@example.com