Grounds Maintenance Specialist
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Grounds Maintenance Specialist: Facilities Management
About NRHA Founded in 1940, the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority (NRHA) provides low-income families in Norfolk, Virginia with safe and well-maintained housing. It also plans and administers large-scale residential redevelopment programs within Norfolk.
NRHA is an award-winning public housing authority and is designated by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as a high-performer for its assisted housing programs. NRHA has been effective in obtaining private investment partners to fund new neighborhoods; improving low-income public housing; planning and building mixed-income communities; and offering programs that support residents receiving rental assistance on their path to self-sufficiency. NRHA aims to create and apply meaningful housing and neighborhood development programs to serve all residents of Norfolk.
NRHA looks for people who want to work in a challenging and progressive environment and make a positive difference in the community.
About the Position NRHA seeks qualified candidates for the position of Grounds Maintenance Specialist. The job holder performs routine and non-routine grounds maintenance work at public housing communities and other NRHA-managed properties.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Performing conventional grounds maintenance, landscaping, and tree maintenance assignments, including but not limited to seeding, planting, and mowing assignments..
- Operating light- to medium- grounds maintenance equipment, including but not limited to lawn mowers, rotary tillers, weed trimmers, and chain saws.
- Operating medium- to heavy- grounds maintenance equipment, including but not limited to stump grinders, and riding lawn mowers.
- Operating heavy vehicle including tractors, dump trucks, and trucks with equipment trailers.
- Operating zero-turning radius (ZTR, or zero-turn) riding lawn mowers.
- Transporting equipment to work sites by driving truck with trailer.
- Maintaining outdoor shrubbery and ornamental plants.
- Removing, transporting, and disposing of refuse, debris, weeds, clippings, and other waste as instructed.
- Assisting in the installation, repair, and/or replacement of playground equipment or other anchored outdoor objects.
- Performing routine fence repairs.
- Performing routine cleaning and care of grounds maintenance tools, machinery, and equipment.
- Receiving training on grounds maintenance and landscaping operations, as needed.
About the Ideal Candidate The ideal candidate will have:
- A High School diploma or General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- Three to five years progressive grounds maintenance or landscaping experience.
- A valid and current driver's license.
- The ability to lift 20 pound objects.
Candidates with zero-turning radius (also known as ZTR or zero-turn) riding lawn mower experience will be preferred over other candidates. During the interview process, candidates may be asked to demonstrate their skill in safely and effectively operating equipment used on the job.
NRHA will consider equivalent substitutes for education and/or experience, provided that the candidate can demonstrate that he/she has obtained the knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the job.
NRHA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The current full pay range for the Grounds Maintenance Specialist is from a minimum of $22,880.00 to a maximum of $38,417.60, with a target hiring range of $22,880.00 to $30,232.80. The compensation offer will be determined by the candidate's work history and skill set. NRHA offers a benefits package that includes retirement, health, dental, vision, life insurance, savings, and tuition reimbursement options, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and more.
Those candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly by telephone. All other candidates will receive an email communication after the position is filled.
Want to help others? NRHA is looking for you!
NRHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants receive consideration for a position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation, or any other class protected by law. NRHA is an e-Verify employer, and reviews the eligibility of each employee to work in the United States. NRHA is a drug- and alcohol-free workplace. NRHA requires a criminal history record review for all positions. NRHA reserves the right to close or withdraw at any time any position it lists or advertises.
Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority
Real EstateView all jobs at Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority