Metal Fabrication Setup Technician - All Shifts
St. Louis Park, MN 55416 US - Primary Location
Metal Fabrication Setup Technician
St Louis Park, MN
Summary of position.
Performs punch press and CNC machine setup in the metal fabrication area. Coordinates tooling repairs with the Senior Metal Fabrication Setup Technician Supervisor and the tool room to assure all tooling is capable of meeting quality and production requirements. Assists the efforts to standardize and reduce machine setup times. Supports QC on the implementation of SPC methods. Assists in the training of setup team and machine operators in the above topics.
What will the Metal Fabrication Setup Technician do? (Essential Functions)
*Always represents Metal Fab and Nordic Ware in a positive manner.
- Takes advantage of opportunities to assist and mentor setup technicians and operators on safe work practices, setup reduction, quality, and standard work practices.
- Notifies the Department Manager about issues with incorrect bills of material and labor content of shop orders
- Fosters team cooperation and a positive work environment on all shifts through consistent communication, active listening, leadership and follow through.
- Encourages employee participation in the continuous improvement process by demonstrating the use of 5-S, Root Cause Analysis, Statistical Process Control, setup reduction techniques, and other tools as appropriate during the setup process.
- Verifies all dies, fixtures and other tooling are in proper repair to produce high quality parts.
- Has the ability to program machining centers, automated presses and other CNC controlled equipment.
- Has the ability to setup all products on the various presses, machining centers, press automation, and associated equipment such as de-coilers, feeders, straighteners, and wire benders.
- Assists in training setup technicians to use standard setup techniques between all shifts.
- Readies dies and tooling for transport between the metal fabrication area and Building 10 as dictated by the production schedules.
- Reports any/all damages of die tools, machines, racking etc. to supervisor and/or manager in a timely manner.
- Monitors the press setup procedures regularly and follows up on all discrepancies, or issues with the setup technicians.
- Works closely with the department supervisor in order to improve operational efficiencies. For example: celling operations, optional presses and decreased downtime of presses.
- Makes subtle adjustments to die tools, fixtures, jigs and attachments to the best of his abilities as needed. When needed repairs are above the skills set, these repairs will be handled by the tool room.
- Works closely with tool room and setup technicians to reduce machine setup time.
- Works closely with setup technicians and the Quality Control department to make top quality parts at-all times. Not just “OK” parts.
- Assists in keeping the die tool inventory accurate and record keeping in Epicor.
- Collaborates with tool room personnel to complete especially urgent projects for new product.
- Assists in maintaining an orderly supply area of oils and lubricants used by the department as well as waste collection. Assists in maintaining a safe inventory level of oils and lubricants and informs the supervisor or manger when inventory level need replenished.
- Complies with all safety compliance procedures and policies.
- Coordinates workflow, in conjunction with the Supervisor, of all production equipment.
- Responsible for assisting in keeping all department areas clean and organized.
- Assists the Department Manager in supervising operators when the Department Supervisor is absent.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in metal fabrication
- Must have experience and knowledge of full and partial revolution punch presses and ability to perform setups of all die tooling and presses
- CNC Programing understanding and ability
- Proficient ability to read and write English. Bilingual ability in Spanish is preferred.
- Experience utilizing SPC, SMED, 5-S, and other Lean and 6-Sigma Tools
- Forklift certification required (we will train & certify).
- Proven leadership and team-building skills.
- Ability to correctly interpret and understand Bill of Material process sheets.
- Experience reading blueprints.
- Experience in the function of measurement tools such as calipers, micrometers and height gages.
We Make it Easy
• Applying takes less than 2 minutes. No passwords or accounts to register or sign-in for.
• You are hired directly by the company – MRA does not make hiring decisions.
Founded in 1901, MRA is a nonprofit employer association that serves more than 4,000 employers, covering more than one million employees.
As one of the largest employer associations in the nation, MRA helps its member organizations thrive by offering the most comprehensive assortment of HR services, information, education, and resources to help build successful workplaces and a powerful workforce.
We partner with these companies working directly with their HR department and leadership to hire their talent. We are a direct line to the company, not an agency recruiter.