NorCal Cannabis is one of California’s largest vertically integrated cannabis companies, with operations ranging from seed to store. We are on a mission to radically transform the cannabis industry. Doing this requires us to think differently and to question conventional approaches, therefore it's essential to have a diverse team of the very best people with all types of backgrounds and experiences to bring the best ideas to life. We are committed to maintaining an environment where all of our team members have the opportunity to be heard, to make an impact and to do the best work of their lives while building an industry from the ground up. Our mission is to change stigmas and enhance the lives of our customers and patients by delivering the unexpected, and we're looking for a Dispensary Manager to help do just that
We are looking for a smart, energetic and knowledgeable HR Business Partner to join our Human Resources team at NorCal Cannabis to oversee our retail dispensary and delivery business teams of 500+ employees with growth expected to reach 1000+ employees by Q1 2020. You will be a resource to ensure that our managers and individual contributors have the support they need to be as effective as possible in their roles. In this fast-paced role, you will help our teams navigate through employee relations issues, provide coaching, guidance and recommendations and help them problem-solve and identify solutions to enhance their effectiveness and performance. Working with care and empathy, you will be highly motivated with a positive attitude, and demonstrates patience, teamwork and strong emotional intelligence. This role is supported by an internal HR team, reporting to the Director of Human Resources.
- Partnerships & Relationships - Proactively identify opportunities to partner with dispensary and delivery management to develop and implement innovative and lasting solutions. Build credibility and trust by resolving employee concerns through reliable and prompt resolution, clear documentation and follow-through. Partner effectively with functional HR groups, including Talent Acquisition, Compensation & Benefits, Employee & Labor Relations, Diversity Equity & Inclusion and Learning & Development.
- Ensures multi-location continuity in terms of HR programs, management philosophy and company culture, which in turn fosters consistent practices and thinking within different business groups and the organization.
- Identifies opportunities to expand and strengthen HRBP team’s role in the delivery and dispensary organizations.
- Talent & Workforce Planning - Partner with senior management and HR leaders to develop and implement workforce planning, and coordinate workforce restructuring activities. Oversee onboarding from beginning to end, while partnering with key stakeholders.
- Employee Retention – Work directly with dispensary and delivery management and personnel to understand retention challenges as well as develop solutions that are meaningful and effective.
- Initiate conversations with dispensary and delivery/depot managers that lead to appropriate employee changes, such as promotions, transfers, verbal coaching, disciplinary action and employment disposition. Ensure accurate and timely processing and recording of employee status.
- Learning & Organizational Development - Assist in developing and implementing learning and other organizational programs. Coordinate training in support of NorCal Cannabis learning and development initiatives.
- Compensation & Performance Management - Provide compensation and performance management review, evaluation and support to management, supervisors and employees, including position description drafts, job classification and reclassification reviews and job audits.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - Work in support of the NorCal Cannabis goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- Work with local management to identify equity program needs. Work with community leaders to develop a business relationship and support all local efforts for equity programs.
- Data Management - Develop, generate, and analyze reports, presentations and data obtained from HR systems to provide analytics, metrics, and trending information. Manage data integrity and work with the HR Assistant to ensure data entry and changes are accurately reflected in Epay.
- HR Policy & Procedures - Interpret federal, state and local employment laws and collective bargaining agreements in support of NorCal Cannabis objectives. Strive for a consistent approach in the application of HR procedures and practices across all groups.
- Build a strong partnering with union representatives and work in concert with collective bargaining agreement terms and execution.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures at the dispensary and delivery/depot level. Work closely with the Human Resources and management teams to maintain the employee handbook, new hire orientation, and other programs and services with accuracy and professionalism.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
Recruitment & Onboarding
- Help department managers with recruiting for NorCal Cannabis open positions
- Develop workforce strategies to recruit and develop qualified candidates
- Work closely with recruiting team to ensure applicant review, prescreening and follow up interviews with hiring manager
- Schedule job interviews and assist in the interview process
- Support hiring and on-boarding process including confirmation of document completion prior to employees first day of employment
- Ensure background and reference checks are completed
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field / Industry
- 6+ years’ experience in an HRBP leadership role, preferably in retail and/or delivery business
- Union experience
- Clear understanding of San Francisco Equity Program and other locations as required
- Experience with rapid and complex changing work environment
- Intermediate to expert understanding of Excel, Word, PowerPoint software
- Experience understanding strategic organizational issues and influencing change
- Strong business acumen and ability to work well across different functions in order to integrate HR and business strategies
- Experience using data to identify insights that drive action
- Excellent written and verbal communication and strong presentation skills
- Exceptional listening skills and ability to relate to, influence, facilitate and coach employees of all levels in the organization
- Ability to work independently and actively as a member of both Business and HR teams