President and Chief Executive Officer, Pittsburgh Business Group on Health (PBGH)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Pittsburgh Business Group on Health (PBGH) is an employer-led, nonprofit coalition of organizations representing various business segments including private and public employers, government, and education.
Since the 1980s, PBGH has been driving change in healthcare – giving a voice to employers in their efforts to contain rising costs for care and prescription drugs that are suppressing the ability of their employees to receive the care they need when they need at a price they can afford.
Representing over 100 organizations, PBGH offers:
- Group-purchasing, leveraging the collective power of employers
- Employee engagement programs, supporting employers' health and wellness efforts
- Networking, benchmarking, and education opportunities
- Health care and benefit analyses and other industry information
With 6 professional staff and a budget of approximately $1.5 MM, PBGH strives to improve the cost, delivery, and value of health care and offers member only and community forums for the exchange of ideas and viewpoints. Health care and consultant associate members provide health care resources and support to PBGH and employer members and also assist in developing collaboration opportunities to find solutions to the health care issues facing employers. PBGH’s targeted voice advocates for employers at the highest local, state, and federal levels – lobbying and pursuing real transformation in the way healthcare is delivered and paid for so companies and organizations have the power to be competitive and succeed.
Additional information about PBGH can be found here - https://pbghpa.org/
As the face of the coalition, the PBGH President & CEO holds a strategic position of influence with employer members and key external stakeholders such as regulators, politicians, the media, and healthcare executives in the Western Pennsylvania region. The President & CEO must stay abreast of local, regional, and national health care and benefits trends to support an innovative and proactive approach to the educational, programmatic, and services needs of the coalition’s employer members and the community.
The President & CEO leads and oversees both the Pittsburgh Business Group on Health (a 501c3) and PBGH Services (a for-profit entity). As such, this position is accountable to the Board of Directors of each organization. The successful incumbent will continue to fine-tune the coalition’s service model to assure continued value to employer members, diversify revenue sources, continue to grow membership, and expand the geographic footprint of the coalition.
The President & CEO is primarily responsible for the following:
Leadership and Organization Management
- Assures PBGH effectively achieves its mission by providing leadership to the team. This includes day-to-day operations, staff supervision, and strategic planning.
- Manages the staff with transparency and respect, creating a workplace that is professional and positive. This includes creating a workplace that is respectful and one where professional growth opportunities are plentiful.
- Develops and tracks metrics that monitor the performance of the organization.
- Aggressively seeks alternative revenue streams including philanthropic grants.
- Anticipates, assesses, and communicates the risks and benefits associated with healthcare trends and the impact on member business processes, transactions, and operations.
- Oversees activities that result in continued membership growth while assuring retention of current members.
Advocacy and Social Impact
- Serves as the external voice of the organization, raising the public’s awareness of PBGH’s work and enhancing the organization's visibility, relevance, and credibility. Acts as a thought leader, advocate, and spokesperson to elected officials, the media, at events, and in local communities.
- Builds partnerships with philanthropic foundations, corporate partners, other community organizations, and political and community leaders within Western PA.
- Disseminates evidence-based information related to healthcare to the membership and acts as PBGH spokesperson for the media and community.
- Participates in national, regional, and affinity groups in order to stay connected and aligned within the healthcare and benefits community.
- Leverages the work and influence of PBGH to move forward equitable and inclusive policies and practices in healthcare.
Strategy and Board Relations
- Develops, maintains, and supports a dual Board of Directors; seeks and builds board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations.
- Participates in Board recruitment and collaborates with Board leadership to promote governance best practices that support fiduciary responsibilities and strategic goals.
- Works collaboratively with the Board to develop annual and long-range goals and strategies for the organization, then assure successful implementation of tactics to reach these goals.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The successful President & CEO will be a bold communicator, active listener, and relationship builder. With an understanding of nonprofit business models, candidates should have the ability to effectively build or work with a Board of Directors and a membership base; as well as exceptional fiscal and relationship management skills.
Demonstrable experience, competencies, and qualifications include:
- Passion for and commitment to the PBGH mission and vision.
- Educational background aligned with the requirements of the position.
- Successful experience as a leader within a value-based mission, including membership-based organization, trade associations, or chamber of commerce.
- Knowledge and understanding of the current and evolving landscape of healthcare and benefits administration; both local and national.
- Strong financial acumen, management ability and an ethical, collaborative leadership approach to work.
- Adept at building effective teams and motivating others to achieve more, particularly in complex and dynamic organizations. Working style that is transparent, encouraging, and collaborative.
- Public speaking and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to serve as a strong external spokesperson for an organization.
- A sense of entrepreneurial opportunism, with the ability to flex and adapt with changing conditions.
In the near term, the new President & CEO will continue to deliver outstanding outcomes while successfully addressing the following in the first 12 months:
- Review the current governance model of PBGH to determine effectiveness and relevancy.
- Strategize and develop a plan for improving new membership as well as membership retention.
- Complete an in-depth assessment of PBGH’s programs, revenue streams, and staffing structure.
- Make recommendation to the Board of the value proposition of PBGH to the membership and to the community at-large.
This position offers a competitive salary in the $155,000 - $170,000 range, with a performance-based incentive structure and a progressive benefits package.
PBGH seeks to recruit candidates for employment that represent our diverse community in race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and ability. Inclusive and equitable in our recruitment and retention practices, we are dedicated to uplifting diverse opinions and backgrounds in order to grow and evolve as a welcoming workplace for all.
How to Apply
Pittsburgh Business Group on Health has retained Nonprofit Talent to assist with this important organizational change process. Specific questions related to the position may be emailed to Michelle Pagano Heck, President, at Michelle@NonprofitTalent.com. Please direct all inquiries related to this position to Nonprofit Talent, and do not contact Pittsburgh Business Group on Health.
Resume, position-specific cover letter, and salary expectations can be uploaded here via thie portal.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY 5PM on October 21, 2022
Powered by JazzHR
Get fresh Chief Business Officer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.