Principal Data Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
We are looking to hire a full-time Principal Data Engineer within our IT Database Administration department. The role of a Principal Data Engineer is to be a self-motivated, independent, detail-oriented, and responsible team player. The Principal Data Engineer will utilize various technologies for the development and maintenance of software applications and services designed to provide the functionality needed by the enterprise to accomplish required business functions.
ABOUT THE ROLE
A DAY IN THE LIFE of a Principal Data Engineer
The primary responsibilities of the Principal Data Engineer include:
- Building high-quality systems utilizing software implementation best practices, the Principal Data Engineer will be a leader on a co-located team and use their professional experience to develop solutions utilizing Scrum and other Agile techniques.
- This role will be expected to mentor others with less experience, lead design discussions, perform code reviews, evaluate technology, and provide software solutions to meet business objectives.
- This role will also train team members in standing up systems in cloud or on-premises.
- The Principal Data Engineer will be exposed to all facets of the Agile software development lifecycle and will be expected to adapt quickly to an existing and complex environment.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs advanced programming and configuration functions independently
- Designs, codes, tests, documents, and debugs new and existing applications and supporting infrastructure
- Adheres to and leads the effort to contribute to the definition of the SDLC standards
- Research potential solutions using resources such as the web and via interaction with other IT resources
- Creates deployment packages and provides support for promoting deployments through environments as needed
- Participates in and leads technical design discussions
- Leads code reviews for other team members and provides appropriate feedback
- Drives and improves quality of code created by implementing static analysis, automated code reviews, and automating quality gates into the SDLC process
- Consistent drive to implement automation throughout all aspects of the job in order to drive consistency, higher throughput and lower costs
- Support Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) by ensuring proper logging, tracing and metrics are available to provide proper insight into systems operational status
- Encourages proper software maintenance activities with an eye towards reducing overall code footprint and consistently improving codebase quality through techniques such as refactoring
- Ensures solutions developed have strategies for end-of-life decommissioning and replacement approaches, monitors systems for deprecations and builds approaches for handling them while meeting business needs
- Provides technical leadership to software development teams. Own technical aspects of software development.
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development across the entire application stack Identifies continuous improvements for service availability
- Available to support production systems during off-hours and weekends, as needed
- Provides technical leadership/consulting on complex to highly-complex system solutions, ensuring architectural alignment
- 6 or more years of experience in Information Technology/Technical Services required
6 or more years of experience in the following:
- Knowledge of Cloud service offerings and strategies including IaaS, PaaS, SaaS. Experience in one or more of the following: Cloud / SaaS technologies, API integration, containerization.
- Preferred Database Administration (Oracle, Postgres, MS SQL Server) including upgrades, patching and general maintenance of databases in cloud or on-premises.
- Proficient in Information/Data Lifecycle Management.
- Proficient in developing and consuming web services and integration concepts (including REST, SOAP, JSON & XML) in Mulesoft.
- implementation of security guidelines for enterprise applications and industry best practices
- Setting up API management and governance
- Defining the interfaces and components for overall system-level design
- Implementation of security best practices
- Expert in agile development processes
- Knowledge of DevOps and Agile methodologies
- Implementation of object-oriented methodologies, tools, and techniques
- Implementation of OAuth, REST, JSON, XML and other API Standards
- Understanding of Identity and Access Management concepts
6 or more years of experience in the following:
- Supporting live production systems environment.
- Leads design and deployment of solutions using n-tier architectures (UI, Business Logic Layer, Data Access Layer)
- Leads design and development of relational databases, normalization concepts, triggers, functions, and procedures. Creates, reads and edits ER diagrams.
- Expert level experience in writing advanced and complex SQL queries including performance tuning
- Leads development teams in design discussions
- Advanced knowledge building scalable enterprise applications using various integration technologies
- Building Enterprise Data Warehouse including creating and maintaining ETL and Business intelligence strategies.
- Service-oriented architecture, JSON, XML, and web services.
Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Information Technology.
WORK SCHEDULE for Principal Data Engineer
This fully remote full-time position typically works 7-hour workdays, Monday - Friday, and must work East Standard Time (EST) hours.
SALARY for Principal Data Engineer (Starting at $135,000)
Any offered salary is determined based on competency and skills, prior relevant experience, required degrees/certifications, internal equity within the organization, and market competition.
SOME OF OUR PERKS & BENEFITS!
- Robust Medical, Dental & Vision from top providers
- 12% Employer Contribution to your 403(b)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Wellness Program
- Generous PTO
- Flexible Work from Home opportunity
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
Nonprofit HR is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do for the benefit of our employees and the clients that we serve. To fully realize our goal, we prioritize our understanding of the complexities of DEI within our workforce to inform our approach to talent management. We believe that this guides how we do our work, advise our clients to operationalize DEI and position our content and educational opportunities help strengthen the talent management capacity of the social impact sector.
Continue reading our about our commitment at nonprofithr.com/deinow.
Powered by JazzHR
EngineeringView all jobs at Nonprofit HR
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?