Assistant / Associate General Counsel
- Posted: over a month ago
Nodal Exchange operates a regulated derivatives market providing industry traders over 1000 futures contracts on hundreds of unique electric power locations and the world's largest set of environmental futures and options contracts. A leader in innovation, Nodal Exchange was named Exchange of the Year – The Americas and Canada at FOW International Awards in 2021, as well as Exchange of the Year in 2021, 2020, and 2019 by Energy Risk magazine. Nodal Exchange’s wholly owned subsidiary, Nodal Clear, provides clearing of exchange transactions using a portfolio margining approach that provides participants significant risk management and capital efficiency advantages. Nodal Exchange is a part of the EEX Group that serves international commodity markets.
Nodal believes in helping our legal team thrive by balancing their work and home lives well. We are proud of the culture we have created. As such, we value teamwork, honesty, humor, forward thinking and open communication. We see the importance of your perspective and your ability to create value to the company through informed legal advice. We want you to fit in with our supportive environment and to appreciate, as we do, that by bringing together our varied perspectives, and respectfully challenging each other, we can develop the best solutions for the legal issues of the business.
Nodal Exchange seeks a talented and dynamic attorney for the following role based in Tyson’s Corner, VA (DC Metro area), with hybrid/remote work available:
Assistant/Associate General Counsel
The Assistant/Associate General Counsel will report to the Nodal General Counsel.
- Provide legal and regulatory advice and counsel for Nodal’s exchange (registered designated contract market) and clearing house (derivatives clearing organization) functions pursuant to the Commodity Exchange Act and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) Regulations.
- Work with other attorneys in General Counsel’s office and engage with business to address any regulatory or commercial business needs in a legally compliant manner.
- Stay on top of changing regulations, relevant industry trends, and work with business, finance, technology, and legal stakeholders to develop and implement best practices.
- Provide legal assistance on any regulatory filings, working with the Compliance team, or other regulatory related matters.
- Assist in the preparation, review, editing, or negotiating various business contracts, including third-party service provider, nondisclosure, confidentiality, and licensing agreements, to mitigate risk in accordance with company policies and regulatory responsibilities.
- Structure and draft agreements, amendments, addenda, and other documents to comply with new and existing regulatory responsibilities and commercial contracts.
- Review and help maintain all company policies and procedures as needed.
- Assist in the administrative process and maintenance of the legal file systems.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the legal needs, policies and procedures of the business, and any applicable legal or policy issues of the EEX Group.
Preferred Professional Qualifications and Skills
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Admitted to the Virginia Bar in good standing or otherwise admitted in another state with ability to become authorized to practice law as in-house counsel in Virginia.
- Assistant General Counsel – approximately 3 to 5 years relevant experience as a practicing attorney as either an associate at a law firm with a focus in commodities/derivatives law, or within the CFTC (will also consider SEC and FERC), or in-house legal department in a financial derivatives business.
- Associate General Counsel – approximately 5 to 8 years relevant experience as a practicing attorney as either an associate at a law firm with a focus in commodities/derivatives law, or within the CFTC (will also consider SEC and FERC), or in-house legal department in a financial derivatives business.
- Working knowledge of applicable legal and regulatory requirements relating to one or more specialty areas including contracts, licensing, intellectual property, technology, employment, privacy, and security.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple matters at once and complete them in an organized and timely manner.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to address complex legal problems and business needs without compromising work quality.
- Attention to detail and a strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, as well as cooperatively in a team environment.
- Diligent team player with a good sense of humor - or at least the ability to politely recognize the attempts at humor by your colleagues.
- Detailed Resume or LinkedIn profile
- Authorized to work in the United States
Nodal Exchange proudly invests in its employees with benefits that include meaningful vacation and sick time off, paid holidays, parental leave, 401(k) with matching, health, dental, & vision coverage, short/long-term disability, and reimbursed bar dues and CLE costs.
Nodal Exchange, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, pregnancy, parental status, marital status, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, military status, veteran status, physical or mental health, hairstyle historically associated with race, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law with respect to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or in any other terms and conditions of employment. Nodal Exchange is an E-verify participant.
LegalView all jobs at Nodal Exchange