We are currently looking to fill a potential Dental Assistant position (see details below):
POSITION: DENTAL ASSISTANT
LOCATION: On-site in the Health Services Department at the United States Penitentiary located at Hickory Flats Road, Pennington Gap, VA 24277.
- Normally work Monday through Thursday (except federal holidays), paid federal holidays
- Between the hours of 7:30 am and 3:30 pm
- 30 hours per week (not to exceed 30 hours per week)
- US Citizen
- Have a minimum of one (1) years of experience providing Dental Assistant services.
- Shall possess specialty training from a licensed dentist and/or certification from an accredited Dental Assistant school.
- Training must include dental radiology and radiology safety.
- Bilingual oral communications skills and experience in a clinical correctional setting are desirable.
- Shall be certified in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) with the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association
- Dental Assistant must possess the ability to collect and track data and enter data into the agency’s electronic system and track scheduling of patient care
- Must have knowledge and experience in maintaining patient medical records and confidentiality.
- Assists Dental Officer in dental specialty sections: restorative, oral surgery, periodontics, prosthetics, and examinations;
- Retrieve patient's records and escorts patients to proper dental specialty section; seats and prepares patient for attending Dental Officer
- Assists Dental Officer by preparing dental instruments, essential materials, drugs and medications ;
- Passes instruments, retracts tissues, irrigates oral cavity, and operates aspirator;
- Observes patient's responses, and assists patient for dismissal from the Dental Clinic;
- Gives instructions for subsequent dental appointments;
- Makes necessary entries on dental treatment records (both electronic and paper records);
- Prepares dental treatment room for the next patient;
- Assists in the treatment of emergency cases;
- Provides dental health education;
- Dental prophylaxis;
- Dental screening examination;
- Preparation of patients for periodontal surgery ;
- Dental and periodontal charting;
- Prepares places, and removes packs;
- Places temporary fillings;
- Places and removes rubber dams;
- Maintains dental equipment;
- Cleans, sharpens, and sterilizes instruments;
- Performs daily inspection of equipment and makes minor repairs;
- Reports defective equipment, or utilizes corrective action;
- Performs routine oral prophylaxis of the clinical crowns of teeth;
- Uses dental hand instruments, mechanical instruments (including ultrasonic), oral hygiene aides and prophylaxis paste to provide necessary oral prophylactic services;
- Prepares entries for patient's records;
- Selects and applies medication in proper portion and anti-cariogenic agents to surface of teeth and applies medication prescribed by a Dental Officer to gingiva to promote healing;
- Fabricates and repairs dental prosthesis and appliances under supervision;
- Performs procedures pursuant to fabrication and repair of complete denture prosthesis and removable partial prosthesis;
- Uses acrylic resins and porcelain as basic materials;
- Takes radio graphs of patients using standard and digital dental radiographic, panelipse, cephalometric, and transcranial equipment
- Obtains diagnostic quality periapical, occlusal, lateral, jaw, TMJ, and panographic radio graphs;
- Correctly positions patient and film;
- Determines level of radiation intensity to minimize radiation exposure of patients;
- Processes and saves digital radiographs to patient medical records;
- Performs quality assurances on radiographic and developing equipment and safelight;
- Maintains proper infection control procedures in radiographic techniques;
- Sterilizes contaminated biological waste of dental clinic;
- Places and finishes dental restorations, including bases and liners
- Make primary impressions and pours casts;
- Selects tooth shade for composite restorations and dentures.
The employees will be required to wear scrubs in the color Caribbean Blue. Employees are expected to dress professionally at all times. In the event the employee’s attire does not comply with the expectation of the USP, the employees will not be permitted entry inside the USP. The USP will not be financially responsible for the time it takes to return to the USP with proper attire. NiteLines will supply the employees with a Protective Stab Vests equal to the BOP staff.
Female – Vantage Carrier
Male – Vertex Carrier
BENEFITS: Competitive Hourly Pay, Paid Federal Holidays (10) , Paid Sick Leave