The Veterinary Technician / Assistant is a key role in the Nine Lives medical team. They assist in multiple procedures providing care for cats including physical examinations, medical treatment, and immunizations, as well as client education and inventory maintenance. Must have a working knowledge of common feline diseases, their symptoms, means of transmission, treatment and prevention, pharmaceutical drugs, and basic preventative health care protocols. This is an overview of the position and the job responsibilities listed do not encompass the entire position. The Veterinary Technician is under the direct guidance and supervision of the veterinarians.
Registered Veterinary Technician license is preferred but not required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive, handle and treat cats with skill, compassion and care
- Obtain and record patient histories
- Collect specimens and perform routine laboratory procedures and tests
- Dispense and administer medications, vaccines, fluids and treatments as prescribed by veterinarians
- Provide specialized nursing care for injured or ill cats
- Prepare patients, instruments and equipment for surgery
- Assure that monitoring and support equipment such as anesthetic machines, cardiac monitors, scopes and breathing apparatus are in good working condition
- Assist in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures using a range of equipment
- Take and process radiographs
- Communicate with and educate clients
- Maintain knowledge of preventative healthcare recommendations in order to answer client questions, provide education on vaccines, and flea and product
- Maintain inventory of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies
- Clean, maintain and sterilize instruments, equipment, and materials
- Follow federal and state animal health laws and regulations including OSHA and DEA
- Be an on-site caregiver for shelter animals on some weekend days and holidays
- Maintain medical records in computerized systems
- Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the mission of Nine Lives
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discomfort
- 2+ years experience as a veterinary technician / assistant. Experience in an animal shelter preferred but not required
- Knowledge of the use, care, sterilization and storage of veterinary instruments, materials, and equipment
- Knowledge of the instruments, materials, and standardized procedures used in the full variety of treatments to make preparations and provide “tableside” assistance
- Experience in fear-free animal handling protocols preferred
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments
- Critical thinking - Understanding logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Strong communication and client service skills; ability to work with clients and patients in a professional, friendly, tactful manner
Nine Lives Foundation
Why Work Here?Nine Lives Foundation is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that rescues cats and kittens from high-kill shelters and at-risk homeless situations by providing them shelter, enrichment and onsite medical care while seeking loving permanent homes for them. In addition, Nine Lives provides low cost spay/neuter services and vaccinations to feral/community and privately-owned cats. We are an organization with a small staff and many volunteers, all of whom love cats!
Nine Lives Foundation is a small not-for-profit, no-kill shelter where you can really make a difference!
Redwood City, CA