The Human Resource Generalist performs duties at the professional level in some or all of the following functional areas: Employee Relations, Training and Development, Employment, Affirmative Action and Employment Equity program, Benefits Management, Payroll Management, and Legal Compliance. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the organization. The HR Generalist must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill and the business needs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Maintains all employee and applicant documentation as dictated by governing agencies.
2. Manages and tracks all employee disciplinary action.
3. Partners with Plant Manager on decisions related to personnel including confidential and sensitive matters.
4. Maintains positive relationships at all levels of the organization.
5. Ability to communicate sensitive matters in a direct and diplomatic fashion.
6. Ensures legal compliance in all aspects of the generalist function.
7. Coaches, counsels and guides managers before executing employee disciplinary actions.
8. Maintains and processes all Unemployment Notices of Entitlement and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner. Attends unemployment hearings when necessary.
9. Assists with recruitment tasks as needed (reviews applications, interviews).
10. Acts as an employee relations specialist.
11. Monitors tardy and absenteeism reports and ensures proper documentation is issued on employees who have excessive tardiness or absenteeism problems. Reports vacation, sick, personal day and holiday use to payroll and scheduling. Maintains and distributes report of same.
12. Maintains employee personnel files and has excellent record keeping skills.
13. Maintains, updates and distributes the employee phone list.
14. Ensures compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification; periodically audits Forms I-9.
15. Distributes and monitors employee performance evaluations and ensures they are done in a timely manner (i.e., three months, six months, one year and yearly thereafter).
16. Updates, monitors and maintains eligible salary adjustments/increases based on three- and six-month and one- year evaluations.
17. Reports, maintains and monitors all workers' compensation case files; follows-up on open cases with insurance carrier to ensure timely and precise reporting.
18. Monitors employee eligibility for benefits plans. Reviews benefits with employees and processes enrollment, cancellation or changes. Organizes and manages annual open enrollment communications and election process. Maintains and distributes list of new and cancelled employees under each benefit plan. Verifies benefit billing accuracy and processes for payment.
19. Maintains and coordinates employee recognition programs.
1. Business Acumen.
4. Critical Evaluation.
5. Ethical Practice.
6. Global & Cultural Awareness.
7. HR Expertise.
8. Relationship Management.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting as well as being comfortable in Distribution, and Production environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
POSITION TYPE, EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:30pm.
Local travel to various worksites is required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor's degree in Human Resources.
2. 5-6 years minimum experience as an HR Generalist in a manufacturing and distribution environment.
3. MUST have experience with California Law.
4. Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other human resource programs.
5. Bilingual Spanish. Ability to ready, write, and translate.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS
1. SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM- SCP) certification.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.