- Posted: over a month ago
Mechanical Engineer, Laser Radar
Why Nikon Metrology?
Joining Nikon Metrology is joining a global company and becoming part of the future, giving you the opportunity to enter into a career where you can help to shape and define innovation.
Mechanical Engineer Benefits:
• Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability,
• Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Legal,
• 401k, Company Matching
• Pet Insurance, Educational Reimbursement
• Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick Time!
• Employee Discounts, Auto Supplier Discounts (Ford, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, & Chrysler)
• $$Referral Bonus$$
• Job based in Virginia
MECHANICAL ENGINEER JOB PURPOSE:
This position, working as part of the Laser Radar development team, is responsible for taking the lead or assisting in all designs associated with Mechatronics. The main focus is related to the development of high precision opto-mechanical assemblies and rotating low-friction bearings and providing design analysis of mechanical structures including, but not limited to, FEA analysis. Must lead or assist in the design and structural modeling of high precision opto-mechanical system.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Mechanical Engineer Product Design
• Design and test high precision optical assemblies including optic fiber assemblies, lenses, lens mounts, camera mounts, mounts for mirrors and other optical components, miniature optical assemblies, and focusing mechatronics with micron level lateral and microradian level angular alignment requirements.
• Design and Test low friction bearing systems and rotary motion stages for the Laser Radar Product
• Lead the design and structural modeling of high precision opto-mechanical alignment jigs and advanced manufacturing processes.
Mechanical Engineer Product Testing
• Provide analysis of above-mentioned designs to include focusing linear positioners and bearing performance (wobble, backlash, running torque, static torque, stiffness).
• Analysis and Physical testing for reliability testing of overall unit level and system level for Laser Radar product.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor’s with 3-5 relevant years or Master’s /PhD with 2-3years.
• Proficient in the use of solid modeling CAD tools specifically SolidWorks or Catia.
• Fundamental modeling and analytical understanding of static and dynamic mechanical properties (e.g. stress, torque, natural frequency, damping, thermal expansion, etc.)
• Demonstrable experience designing high precision opto-mechanical assemblies.
• Exposure to advanced mechanical systems: servos, positioning systems, piezoelectric devices, Voice coil motors servo tuning, position feedback devices, and bearings.
• Preferred knowledge of high precision gimbal systems.
• Exposure to Industrial Metrology equipment is a plus
• Must have strong communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
• Open to new innovative ideas, processes and technology
• Pro-active interaction with production personnel to understand processes and techniques and constantly try to apply skills for optimizing current process by sensing shop floor needs.
• Provide input in the Continuous Improvement Process in the facility
Seek new knowledge:
• Identify and attend seminars and training that are beneficial for role and product.
• Identify latest trends in design principals, components and advanced techniques which are applicable to projects on Laser Radar.
• Must have strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Tailor reports and communications appropriately to ensure deliver of your message.
• Develop active listening skills.
• Work with diligence and sincerity as a responsible individual
• Treat others with respect
• Refrain from gossip mongering and rumor spreading
• Welcome and value different talents, perspectives and diverse cultures
• Avoid stereotypes and prejudices
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to lift 20-30lbs rarely.
Ability to move the Laser Radar around for testing, while it is on a stand with wheels.
Occasionally needs to use/support machine shop technicians working the in-house machine shop with drilling/milling/cutting/polishing machines with appropriate safety gear
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin or because he or she is an individual with a disability or disabled veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran, recently separated veteran, or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran, or thereinafter referred collectively as “protected veterans”
Nikon Metrology, Inc.
ManufacturingView all jobs at Nikon Metrology, Inc.