Senior Staff Accountant
We are seeking an Staff Accountant (remote) to add to our team!
This is a contract-to-hire remote position will start off as project based. If we find that we work well together and that your work is top-notch, we can then discuss bringing you on as an employee, approximately 30-40 hours a week. Schedule is flexible. To be considered for the position, you MUST answer all screening questions.
You will be working with a variety of clients with various needs from detailed data entry to monthly review and month end close of client prepared books. Some work will be done on-site at our client offices, but most work will be performed off-site. Most of our clients are cannabis businesses, so you must be able and willing to work within the cannabis industry. A thorough background check will be required before hire**
About Night Owl Financial
Since 2015, Night Owl Financial has consisted of industry leaders providing 280E accounting and bookkeeping services across the United States. We offer a unique blend of business strategy and extensive 280E accounting knowledge so that businesses can interpret their numbers in a clear and simple language. We educate clients so that they can better understand the core of their business based on accurate and reliable information.
We are not a CPA firm, so this position does NOT qualify for work hours for the CPA.
- Work extensively with QuickBooks and Xero accounting software
- Ensure jobs are being reviewed and completed by their deadlines
- Work with direct manager and report/communicate all work completed or outstanding on a weekly basis
- Daily status updates to direct manager are required
- Assist in planning, implementing, and overseeing the overall accounting strategy
- Oversee daily client accounting operations
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all clients and employees
- Oversee and manage the work of the bookkeepers
- Maintain a high level of accuracy and professionalism
- Reconcile all Balance Sheet accounts
- Sort through client prepared books and make adjustments
- Create supporting schedules
- Calculate and record accruals
- Research problems or questions and complete appropriate actions
- Prepare and/or review periodic journal entries and adjustments
- Prepare and/or review account reconciliations and monthly reporting
- Other duties as assigned
- MUST HAVE 5-10 years of advanced accounting experience
- MUST HAVE at least 7-10 years of experience with QuickBooks accounting software, desktop and online
- CPA Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 280E Accounting experience (Preferred)
- Public Accounting experience (Preferred)
- Ability to close complicated month end books by reconciling all Balance Sheet and other accounts as required
- Able to work independently
- Finance and Accounting leadership
- Strong Knowledge of GAAP
- Audit experience helpful, but not required
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel
- Understanding of Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Able to work on multiple projects with accuracy and efficiency, while keeping to deadlines
- Highly detail oriented
- Ability to work through messy data for accurate reporting
- Experience with inventory tracking, and calculating Cost of Goods Sold
- Team attitude with the willingness to assist with special projects
The Perfect Candidate will be described by the following:
- Has deep initiative and curiosity to figure out difficult tasks for which no current company knowledge base exists.
- Can write a game plan vs. follow a game plan. Can create and implement proper procedures and systems that will add to the sturdy foundation of a growing business
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from all backgrounds.
- Dedicated hard work, and “do it until its done attitude”. ‘Assiduity’ says it all.
- Reliable and unwavering commitment to do what is necessary to get the job done. Willingness to learn new skills as needed and has full commitment to the team-effort in a growing business.
- Thinks independently, enjoys discourse to determine the best answer, and can use best judgement in uncertain circumstances.
- Positive contributor to a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent professionalism and interpersonal skills. Extremely well organized, with attention to detail. Keeps excellent records, diligent with follow up, and ability to lead and grow an independent team.
- Someone who wants to join something special for the long term.