Mechanical / Manufacturing Engineer
Nidec Industrial Solutions Brooklyn Heights, OH
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Nidec Industrial Solutions:
Nidec Industrial Solutions [NIS] is a $500M Business Unit of Nidec Corporation, a $16 Billion global company focused on motors, drives, and controls. NIS is headquartered in Milan, Italy with footprint in 14 countries and growing. Our US operations are based in Cleveland, OH. NIS Americas activities span a range of business models including products manufacturing, system engineering and automation, installation, and services. Our customers and applications are in Oil & Gas, Mining, Renewable Energy & Storage, Metals Manufacturing, Pulp & Paper, Marine, Material Handling, Power Generation, and other diverse sectors.
The Mechanical / Manufacturing Engineer for Encoders will assist senior engineers in the design and development of new encoder products, assist with transition of these products from Engineering to Manufacturing and focus on the design and operation of integrated systems to produce economically competitive products. Other duties include maintenance and upgrades of existing product lines of encoders and custom designs to suit customers’ needs as required. This position will split time equally between NPD responsibilities and Manufacturing duties.
Essential Job Functions
- Design mechanical components for use in industrial encoders
- Create innovative and cost-competitive solutions to meet required specifications
- Support and document design by calculations such as material selection, tolerances, tolerance stack-up, stress analysis, and thermal expansion
- Prepare formal drawings of tooling, jigs and fixtures depicting component parts, machine tools, dimensions and assuring manufacturability.
- Create detailed mechanical part drawings, assemblies and BOMs
- Check drawings for accuracy including values, tolerances, dimensions, spelling, and completeness
- Respond to Sales and Marketing with innovative designs requested in marketing specifications
- Identify, create and apply manufacturing best practices and standard to tooling and design
- Act as a vital resource for technical questions related to manufacturing and quality processes
- Support continuous improvement initiatives by identifying, developing and implementing cost reduction and tooling improvements.
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field from an accredited school.
- Minimum 3 years product development / production-environment experience
- Solid modeling experience (Autodesk Inventor preferred)
- Working knowledge of various mechanical components such as bearings, seals, connectors, and motors
- Working knowledge of basic machining principles, mechanical tools and shop equipment such as gauges, calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, milling machines and lathes
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements a plus (UL, or CSA, ATEX, IECEx)
- Previous experience with design of encoder products a plus
- Design knowledge of plastic molding and/or sand, permanent mold, and die castings a plus
- Ability to think creatively - develop, design, or create new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products
- Attention to engineering detail required
- Goal oriented self-driver with strong work ethic
- Professional presence
- Innovative, creative person
- Team player able to operative effectively across all boundaries of organizational structure (sales, marketing, engineering, drafting, purchasing and manufacturing)
- Excellent communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
Nidec Industrial Solutions
Nidec Industrial Solutions [NIS] is a $500M Business Unit of Nidec Corporation, a $15 Billion+ global company focused on motors, power-controls, and automation. NIS is headquartered in Milan, Italy with footprint in 10 countries and growing. Our US operations (NIS-Americas) is based in the Cleveland area, OH (Brooklyn Heights, OH). NIS Americas projects span a range of applications including Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), Electrical & Control Systems for STS Cranes and other material-handling applications, Control & Automation systems for Pulp & Paper machinery as well as Steel mills, etc. We engineer, procure, build/assemble, startup, and service these systems and installations.
243 Tuxedo Ave. Brooklyn Hts.Brooklyn Heights, OH