The Field Service Engineer (FSE) will provide full customer support in all technical-related issues in connection Digital Drive systems, AC and DC Drives, Diagnostic Monitoring Systems, and Encoders for different type of application and industries (Mining, Cranes, Paper, Metals, etc.).
The FSE will also be responsible for identifying the needs of the customer and, together with the customer, finding appropriate solutions (using either known or new technologies) for customer applications and promoting Nidec Industrial Solutions technical portfolio to gain specific position and ultimately greater market share in the targeted region.
This individual will be the independent, customer-facing technical application engineer for a number of strategic accounts in the defined territory.. This role requires a self-motivated, results-oriented professional with a strong technical aptitude and a passion to succeed.
Essential Job Functions
· Proactively identify and resolve engineering and manufacturing related issues and have a thorough understanding of AC/DC drives, PLC, and HMI’s
· Troubleshoot and repair of AC and DC motor control systems. Analyze and provide alternate solutions to a problem and select the optimal solution
· Field design, commission, and implement new systems independently or as part of a team on larger projects
· Work closely with in-house engineers on project and functionality of drive systems
· Proactively interface and communicate with the customer to build and maintain strong relationships
· Organize and manage regular customer visits, calls and presentations with customers
· Provide telephone, email, and other support to customers and project engineers
· Evaluate current and prospective distributors in the area
· Maintain regular contact with assigned authorized distribution to promote and encourage the sale of Nidec Avtron products.
· Develop new opportunities in the geographic territory and optimize existing accounts through value added services, spare parts, upgrades, warranties, etc.
· Provide emergency field service for customers on an as needed basis
· A minimum of 3-6 months of formal training at home office near Cleveland, Ohio
· On-going field training to immediately follow completion of formal training program
· Expectation to work independently in assigned territory within 9-12 months
· Position requires 40-60% travel in the field.
· Approximately 60% of travel will be in assigned region, typically a 400 mile radius.
· Remaining travel will be supporting start-ups in other regions in North America, and may support other industries including Cranes, Pulp/Paper, Metals, Marine, Oil and Gas
· Some travel on little or short notice for emergency repairs
· Some extended hours or longer trips for start-ups and emergency repairs
· Work from regional “home” office when not on the road
· Considerable amount of walking required
· Some, but not all locations may require climbing of staircases and access ladders, or to be able to negotiate tight work spaces
· Field work requires wearing and working in appropriate safety gear
· Carry service bag (25-50 lbs.), laptop case/caddy, as well as other trade tools
· Use small hand tools, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, etc.
· Negotiate and navigate airports, airports concourses, and parking garages
· Minimum of 2-year technical degree or military training, specifically electronics required
· Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Technology is a plus
· Valid Driver’s License required to drive to customer locations, either from airports or Cleveland home office
· Valid U.S. Government Security Clearance a plus
· Minimum of 3-5 years prior experience in an industrial environment required
· Prior experience in PLC and HMI’s required
· Prior experience with AC or DC drives a plus
· Prior experience in mining industry preferred
· Experience trouble-shooting customer complaints and solving through coordinating efforts between several company departments
· Ability to work independently, resolve technical and manufacturing issues without detailed direction, and work as part of a team
· Ability to work within strict deadlines
· Capability to accurately and efficiently work on multiple projects
· Drive to achieve customer satisfaction
· Strong technical skills, in electric fundamentals as well as computers
· Aggressive, goal oriented self-driver with strong work ethic
· Innovative, creative person
· Excellent communication skill
Nidec Industrial Solutions is a $400M Business Unit of Nidec Corporation, a $13 Billion global company focused on motors, drives, and controls. NIS is headquartered in Milan, Italy with footprint in 10 countries and growing. Our US operations are based in Cleveland, OH. NIS Americas activities span a range of business models including products manufacturing, engineering and system integration, installation, and services.