NexGen Communications Urbandale, IA
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, medical, vision
Job Scope: Network Technician
NexGen Communications is an Internet Service Provider which primarily focuses on the MDU market. We provide Internet, Voice, and Video to properties across the U.S. Our goal is to provide outstanding customer service to not only the customers we service but the leasing agents and companies that partner with us to provide services. Working at NexGen communications is different than working at a large corporation because it provides a small company feel where your voice matters and you can see your hard work pay off.
A position at NexGen is different than you would find in larger companies because you get to directly work with all the moving parts of an ISP rather than just having a single specialty as you would in a large company.
The Network Technician role involves the troubleshooting of issues escalated by our Tier 1 & 2 groups, assisting with new site turn-ups, troubleshooting and installing Internet and Voice services at properties, and the documentation and maintenance of our core and fiber network. This position interacts directly with customers, sales staff, installers, and other members of the engineering team as needed.
- Perform provisioning tasks for phone and internet installs and assist field technicians with install issues.
- Participate in the implementation, installation, upgrading, monitoring, and troubleshooting of the physical network infrastructure including: routers, switches, edge devices, servers, computer equipment, etc.
- Provide advanced technical support to resolve network outages. This includes assisting Tier 1 with guidance and determining the cause of an outage and taking the necessary steps to resolve the issue.
- Regularly review the network environment to evaluate and measure system performance and effectiveness. Suggest, develop, and utilize existing network management software and tools to monitor and analyze network traffic to help recommend network upgrades and enhancements.
- Establish and communicate maintenance windows for all customer impacting adds, changes, removals, and upgrades of network hardware/software.
- Provide excellent customer service to current and prospective customers via troubleshooting, provisioning, and testing of customer premise equipment and connections.
- Provide after-hours customer and network support via rotating on-call.
- Other tasks as assigned by management
Qualifications and Skills
- Possess a basic understanding of layer 1 technologies (Fiber types, SFP types, Copper and fiber cabling systems.
- Possess an understanding of how to troubleshoot physical medium issues by reading light levels, port errors, etc.
- Possess a basic understanding of Layer 2 (Ethernet) networks at a MAC addressing level and VLAN segmentation which includes sizing and collision domain planning.
- Possess a basic understanding of IP Routing and Routing Protocols.
- Possess a basic understanding of 2.4/5GHZ wireless network and how to troubleshoot wireless issues.
- Possess a basic understanding of Windows and Linux Operating Systems.
- Valid driver’s license with a clear driving record
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Vacation/Holiday Pay
- Mileage Reimbursement
Job Type: Full-time
11303 Aurora Ave UrbandaleUrbandale, IA
TechnologyView all jobs at NexGen Communications