The Technical Specialist is a licensed Radiologic Technologist who performs all designated interventional procedures and duties under the direction of a qualified physician. The Technical Specialist will work in the Cardiovascular Center (CVC) as well as in the OR for designated vascular cases requiring fluoroscopy with the C-arm.
The Technical Specialist is responsible for the daily coordination and appropriation of resources in CVC to include personnel, supplies, equipment and room schedule. The Technical Specialist will ensure that the delivery of all patient care by the CVC personnel is consistent with federal, state, local requirements and hospital policies and procedures. The Technical Specialist will perform all duties in compliance with department policies and procedures and established standards of practice on all patients ranging in age from children to geriatric patients.
The Technical Specialist serves as a mentor for the staff in the department and will be responsible for orienting new staff to all aspects of IR to include, i.e. the imaging equipment, procedures/imaging protocols, scrubbing in to assist Proceduralist, circulating during procedures imaging for Vascular cases in the OR
The Technical Specialist will ensure that all pertinent patient procedural information is communicated to the Proceduralist (Radiologist and/or Surgeon and/or Cardiologist and/or Urologist) and technical IR staff as well as the CVC Nurses in an accurate, timely manner.
The Technical Specialist ill engage in communications with all outside vendors for specific information/supplies/new technology and ensures that the equipment within the department is maintained /repaired as needed including preventative maintenance.
The Technical Specialist will work with the staff to identify and solve work related problems and provides input to the Radiology Manager for performance evaluations of Interventional Radiology Technologist. The Lead IR technologist will keep the CVC Nurse Director informed of all activities, work related issues or concerns at all times on a daily basis.
Provides daily leadership and charge responsibilities.
Demonstrate sound decision making, appropriate judgment and impartiality in making decisions and assigning tasks.
Acts as a liaison between CVC Interventional Radiology and other departments to communicate delays, prioritize requests and provide pertinent information.
Effective and collaborative interactions and communications with physicians, nurses, technical staff and other personnel to expedite patient care.
Provide initial and ongoing training to new and existing IR staff. Scope of training responsibilities to include: equipment, protocols and procedures.
Maintain daily communication and provides feedback on technical performance of IR staff for annual performance review and as needed.
Ensure that practice is in compliance with established practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols, guidelines, statutes, and regulations (e.g. MDPH, ARRT, TJC, OSHA, etc.)
Is responsible for the annual inspection of any lead protective equipment in the CVC and will provide his/her findings to the Diagnostic Radiology Technical Specialist.
Is responsible to distribute the monthly Dosimeter badges and/or rings to both the technical and nursing staff. Is responsible to retrieve the previous month's badge/rings and return to the Diagnostic Radiology Technical Specialist.
Is responsible on a monthly basis to provide the Radiation Dose Report for each patient/procedure to the MGH Radiation Safety Technologist.
- Ensures equipment is maintained to specifications.
- Ensures that all Imaging preventative maintenance and Physicist surveys are completed per requirement including any follow-up as needed.
- Performs routine quality control and cleaning of equipment as necessary.
- Contacts service engineers/Bio-Med personnel when equipment malfunctions.
- Communicates equipment issues and provides follow-up to the Radiology Manager as appropriate.
- Effectively assigns and delegates appropriate patient care activities to co-workers with appropriate knowledge and skill level. Works with staff to ensure that all tasks/assignments are completed daily in a timely manner.
- Ensures that all inventory within the department remains current and orders inventory as appropriate to maintain established par levels.
- Collaborates with CVC RN's, Interventionalist Physicians, Centralized Scheduling, Inpatient units, and Physician offices for both the coordination of care and to resolve any issues/concerns.
- Ensures staffing ratio is appropriate to scheduled cases including the OR vascular cases.
- Ensures that appropriate MD orders are provided for each IR case and notifies referring MD office if orders are needed or for verification of orders.
- Ensures all images are checked for quality and transmitted to PACS for all CVC and vascular OR cases at the end of each procedure.
- Scans all appropriate documents ...