- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Newport News Nuclear BWXT Los Alamos (N3B) manages the 10-year, $1.38 billion Los Alamos Legacy Cleanup Contract for the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Environmental Management, Los Alamos Field Office.
N3B is a limited liability company owned by Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) Nuclear and BWX Technologies, joined by our critical subcontractors Longenecker and Associates and Tech2 Solutions.
N3B brings operational discipline, proven approaches and predictable results to the Los Alamos Legacy Cleanup Contract.
This position is located in Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Los Alamos is a tight-knit mountain community that consistently ranks as one of Livability.com’s Best Small Towns in America. The city is a top spot for outdoor enthusiasts as it has more than 120 hiking and biking trails, and residents enjoy easy access to the Pajarito Mountain Ski Area. Thanks to the University of New Mexico-Los Alamos’ presence in the area, Los Alamos also has a college-town vibe that’s a major draw for young professionals, families and retirees.
COVID Vaccination Mandate:
N3B is required by contract to comply with the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force Guidance concerning implementation of Executive Order 14043 on the subject of vaccination against COVID-19. In October 2021, N3B became subject to the Task Force mandate that all N3B employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law (a religious or medical exemption with reasonable accommodation). In December 2021, that mandate was stayed by way of an action in federal court. Therefore, at this time, N3B highly encourages, but does not require employees to be vaccinated. However, in the event that the federal mandate is re-imposed in the future, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination unless you are approved for an exemption on religious or medical grounds. The company will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of the company a legally required exception from this requirement.
N3B is seeking an Environmental Scientist with excellent communication skills, a professional manner, and multi-tasking ability.to join N3B’s Environmental Remediation team.
The successful candidate will be a forward thinking environmental professional with ability to interact with senior managers and subject matter experts on a variety of technical and programmatic issues. The role requires interpretation of environmental radionuclide and non-radionuclide data and development of optimized recommendations that facilitate site completion and complies with environmental, health and safety regulations and/or company policies.
This position reports to the Director, RCRA Remediation Program.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
Support the planning and execution of environmental remediation efforts. This includes, but is not limited to, participation/lead the development or revision of investigation and remediation work plans, participation in the development of technical and programmatic strategies, integrated project planning, work scheduling and sequencing, risk analysis and risk management, and general project execution.
- Supports the organization in the technical development and planning of projects to ensure that technical and programmatic objectives are met and that compliance with local, state and federal regulations, DOE requirements, protection of human health and the environment is achieved
- Achieves objectives by contributing information and recommendations to environmental investigation and remediation plans; may lead development and writing of these plans
- Conducts analyses to identify strengths and weaknesses of remedial alternatives and offer alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches
- Conducts analysis of investigation results to determine further investigation or remediation requirements and options
- Communicates and interacts with integrated project teams, clients, regulators and stakeholders on technical issues as necessary
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- Applies technical expertise of environmental investigation and remediation.
- Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Advanced ability to have an impact on organizational success and productivity, with latitude for independent judgment
- Advanced knowledge and experience in site assessments, field investigations/remediation, data interpretation, as well as environmental monitoring of soil, water and air.
- Advanced familiarity with groundwater and vadose zone hydrology preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of, and experience in meeting, the State of New Mexico Environmental Department requirements.
- Advanced skill and ability to perform critical strategic tasks and to interpret broad strategic and technical requirements and develop and execute plans to satisfy them
- Effective interpersonal skills (e.g., ability to work as part of a team, communicate effectively, work/interact effectively and amicably with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures and with diverse personal attributes).
- Effective communication skills (i.e., ability to present ideas effectively in formal and informal situations and convey thoughts clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing).
- Strong organizational, time management, attention to detail and analytical skills, with the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline (Environmental or Civil Engineering, Environmental Geology, Biology, Geochemistry/Hydrology, etc.) combined with at least 5 years’ of related experience.
Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
Employee Referral Eligibility:
This position is not eligible for N3B’s employee referral program.
Mission Critical Position: Yes ☐ No ☒
Hard To Fill: Yes ☐ No ☒
Represents the organization as a technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
Contributes to completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Physical requirements conducive to a normal office environment. Job performance requires adequate visual acuity and manual dexterity for meeting the requirements of the discipline. Light work involves lifting no more than 20 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds. May spend time in the field gathering data and monitoring environmental conditions firsthand. Field activities may require working in unfavorable weather conditions.
Safety, Security, and Quality
While working to achieve N3B LLCC objectives, the Environmental Scientist will ensure all activities and operations are performed in a safe and deliberate manner to include protecting the confidentiality and integrity of Personally Identifiable Information (PII). This role will maintain required safety, security and operational training; assure procedural and regulatory compliance; and make safety, security and quality an integral part of every task; including taking the necessary steps to stop work if continuing the job is unsafe or compromises security.
Diversity & Inclusiveness
N3B is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
N3B will ensure no applicant for employment or employee is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.
Newport News Nuclear BWXT Los Alamos LLC
AddressLos Alamos, NM
Energy and EnvironmentView all jobs at Newport News Nuclear BWXT Los Alamos LLC