Newport Academy is a series of evidence-based healing centers for adolescents and families struggling with mental health issues. With locations across the United States, Newport Academy offers a family-systems approach, providing gender-specific, individualized, and comprehensive holistic programs that encompass clinical therapy, academic support, and experiential practices. We treat individuals, ages 12–20, who are experiencing depression, anxiety, eating disorders, trauma, and substance abuse. Offerings include residential treatment, intensive outpatient programming, therapeutic day schools, and day treatment. Newport Academy nurtures the physical, psychological, social, educational, and spiritual needs of adolescents and their families, from a foundation of compassionate care, clinical expertise, and unconditional love. Our primary mission is to empower teens and restore families. Experts include medical directors, psychiatrists, therapists, registered dietitians, nurses, licensed social workers, teachers, and more.
Check out our Careers page Careers
Empowering Teens. Restoring Families.®
The math and science tutor will work collaboratively with the classroom teacher to support students in a variety of subjects. The tutor should have knowledge of math curriculum through pre-calculus (calculus knowledge a plus but not required) and be able to support students in biology, chemistry and/or physics. The work hours are approximately 7:30 am until 1pm Monday through Friday working with a maximum of 12 students. Tutors support students in work completion and content mastery through an online program or through the student’s school. Tutors do not create lesson plans.
Essential Academic Tutor Responsibilities:
- Provide one-to-one support to students in their math & science courses.
- Be able to provide support in Algebra 1 through Pre-Calculus.
- Be comfortable providing some support in science courses.
- Assist teacher in oversight of day to day activities in classroom.
- Communicate with teacher about student progress to assist student in staying current on all coursework and relaying any concerns to classroom teacher.
- Be able to give instruction on new material.
- Assist in preparation for any advanced placement tests.
- Assist in supporting students with ACT, SAT, and state exam preparation.
- Support the classroom teacher in providing a safe, supportive environment.
Basic Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Experience tutoring high school and/or college age students.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
Newport Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.