Newport Academy is a series of evidence-based healing centers for adolescents and families struggling with mental health issues. With locations across the United States, Newport Academy offers a family-systems approach, providing gender-specific, individualized, and comprehensive holistic programs that encompass clinical therapy, academic support, and experiential practices. We treat individuals, ages 12–20, who are experiencing depression, anxiety, eating disorders, trauma, and substance abuse. Offerings include residential treatment, intensive outpatient programming, therapeutic day schools, and day treatment. Newport Academy nurtures the physical, psychological, social, educational, and spiritual needs of adolescents and their families, from a foundation of compassionate care, clinical expertise, and unconditional love. Our primary mission is to empower teens and restore families. Experts include medical directors, psychiatrists, therapists, registered dietitians, nurses, licensed social workers, teachers, and more.
Check out our Careers page Careers
Empowering Teens. Restoring Families.®
Newport Academy, the premier adolescent treatment program, is seeking a Medical Director/ Psychiatrist for the Bethlehem, Connecticut location. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Psychiatry provides initial evaluations of residents with mental or emotional problems. Offers counseling and psychotherapy to clients in distress.
- Functions as an effective member of the mental health team.
- Oversees Psychiatric care of all residents.
- Reviews medical concerns/history for potential resident for medical clearance at the request of Admissions.
- Ensures that a Psychiatric Evaluations are performed on each East Coast resident/patient within 48 hours of admission.
- Attend to residents requiring psychiatric assistance while in treatment.
- Facilitate Staff Trainings on pertinent Psychiatric issues and standards.
- Attend weekly Treatment Team Meetings.
- Liaison with staff Medical Director, Clinical Director, and other necessary treatment team members.
- Assist Newport Academy Outreach Team forge relationships with hospitals.
- Works in collaboration with staff APRN.
- Documents patient encounters through weekly progress notes and EMR.
- Manages a case load and works in conjunction with rest of psychiatry team including APRN’s and nursing staff.
- Coordinates psychology services with direct care and clinical staff as indicated.
- Works collaboratively with Psychiatry team regarding shared cases and treatment team’s weekly and as needed.
- Assists with providing cross-coverage to Psychiatry team cases when needed.
- Assists with patient admissions including initial evaluations and initial assessment documentation.
- Provides collateral/liaison contact to patient families.
- Provides collateral/liaison contact to outpatient providers for clients.
- Assists with utilization reviews for clients.
- Maintains excellent communication with other members of the clinical team, outpatient providers and family members.
- Completes discharge recommendation assessments as part of collaborative discharge summaries.
- Works in a collaborative environment including maintaining requirements of Physician Collaborative Agreements.
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in Newport Academy’s policies and procedures.
- Administrative duties including staff schedules.
- Full time duties with some on-call responsibilities.
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD).
- Board Certified in Child, Adolescent, and Adult Psychiatry.
- Licensed in the State of Connecticut.
- Experience with adolescent psychiatry preferred.
- Experience in a residential setting preferred.
- Medical Director/Physician leadership experience preferred.
Newport Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.