Newhouse is a non-profit domestic violence agency providing safe shelter, mental health services, advocacy, case management, and children’s services in Kansas City, Missouri.
Newhouse has continued to meet the highest standards of care in the field since 1971. We adhere to a Trauma-Informed philosophy of care and emphasize self-care for our employees. Please join our friendly, supportive team of caring professionals.
We are currently hiring for a Preschool Teacher. This job is Monday through Friday, and may involve two early evening shifts. The Preschool Teacher will be supervised by the Children’s Program/Preschool Coordinator. The Preschool Teacher is responsible for supervising and teaching children and assisting the other teachers in the program. The Preschool Teacher is also responsible for providing a warm, nurturing environment in which children can feel safe.
The Preschool Teacher Will:
- Support and provide continuity of care to help children develop secure relationships
- Provide a positive climate to establish and reinforce acceptable child behavior, attitudes, and social skills
- Ensure that all activities are child-centered and developmentally appropriate
- Assist in daily routines including keeping the classroom clean, which includes following all sanitary procedures for food service and diapering/toileting
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment by ensuring equipment, furniture, materials, and supplies are properly maintained and stored
- Get along with children, families, co-workers and supervisors while achieving performance expectations
- Work as a cooperative and supportive member of a team
- Respectfully communicate and cooperate with parents
- Exercise discretion in handling confidential information and materials
- Implement daily activities shown through lesson plans, and provide a safe, structured therapeutic environment for children ranging in age from birth to seventeen
- Report observations of children’s behaviors to Children’s Therapist
- Transport children to outside activities if necessary
- Assist the On-Site School when needed during the school year
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Pay is dependent on experience and education
- Early Childhood/Preschool teaching experience required
- Associate’s degree or higher preferred
- Candidates must consent to a background check, Children’s Division/Child Abuse screening and must have a negative TB test.
- Ability to work in a trauma-informed environment
- Ability to lead and supervise activities with children
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed
- Competitive pay
- Free parking
- One meal provided