Managing Producer, Opinion Audio
New York Times New York, NY
- Expired: November 01, 2019. Applications are no longer accepted.
Managing Producer, Opinion Audio
New York Times Opinion is ramping up its audio ambitions. The medium is ideal for showcasing unique and provocative voices and conversations, which have long been at the core of our mission.
We're looking for a leader who can define a vision for opinionated audio at The Times and build a new team to bring these ideas to life. This Managing Producer will be responsible for the editorial conception, development and production of a new slate of shows.
We're looking for an audio journalist with a sense of humor and a capacity for outrage, a confident point of view and an open mind, an appetite for risk and exacting standards for excellence. Impeccable editorial judgment is a must. We're looking for someone who wants to advance big ideas to make the world a better place, and to have fun doing it.
Because we aim to promote the most intelligent and provocative debate across a range of subjects - including politics, global affairs, technology, culture and business - this editor must have intellectual range and curiosity. He or she must also deeply understand the audio landscape and be committed to interpreting and responding to data.
This editor must be collaborative, ready to work closely with editors, writers and columnists across the department and the expanding team of audio experts across the organization. Diplomacy is crucial.
- Leading new show development, in collaboration with Opinion leadership
- Advising on staffing and budget required to pilot and sustain these shows
- Meeting realistic but ambitious growth goals, and communicating regularly with team leadership about progress and hurdles
- Developing promising Opinion journalists and contributors into podcast talent and turning their ideas and arguments into ongoing shows or limited-run series
- Make staffing recommendations to build a diverse and talented team of producers and editors
- At least 7 years experience in audio production
- Experience building and managing a team or organization
- Proven ability to foster an inclusive, diverse, and innovative environment
- An eye for talent and a gift for coaching reporters to get what they need in a studio recording.
- An innovator at heart, equally capable of upholding the editorial standards of The Times
- Preferably, a track record of making ambitious new audio shows or series and a passion for podcasts and new forms of storytelling
- Creative ideas about how to make smart audio shows that will appeal to a wide array of audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort assembling a session in Pro Tools is a plus
- Collaborative spirit is a must
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local "Fair Chance" laws.
Help shape the future of The New York Times
This is an important moment to work at The Times. Across the organization, we're taking advantage of the changing media landscape to pioneer a new era of journalism. With high-quality, original reporting at our core, we're thinking more creatively about our reader relationships and how to deliver new and relevant offerings and experiences. We're telling stories differently and playing with emerging formats like 360 video and VR. And we're building a diverse and collaborative culture that can keep up with the rigors of the modern-day news cycle.
Home to world-class talent
To create journalism and supporting products that stand apart, we must recruit the finest talent in the world. Journalists, data designers, videographers, agile marketers, art directors, and many others, we're looking for people at all stages of their careers to bring different perspectives and practices to our teams. Together, we can make our journalism more insightful, meaningful and essential to the daily lives and understanding of people around the world.
If you see a job opening here that might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply. We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans for employees and their families, health and wellness programs, a 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, paid parental leave and much more.
If you are an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates, please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View "Find Internal Jobs". Thank you!