Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the current Civil Service eligible list for the title.
Have one year of permanent service as a Community Mental Health Nurse and eligible for transfer; or in a comparable title and eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 or 70.4 of Civil Service Law.
Community Mental Health Nurse is a continuous recruitment examination. Candidates who are not on the eligible list may apply for this position and if appointed will receive a temporary appointment. Candidates who are not currently on the eligible list must submit a New York State Application (http://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/20-489.cfm) to the Department of Civil Service for scoring.
Candidates appointed temporary must receive a score that is reachable on the resulting eligible list before they can be permanently appointed. Candidates who are found not qualified, or who do not receive a reachable score may not be retained.
You must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State or possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State. (If you have a limited permit, you must obtain your New York State license within one year of the date of appointment or action will be taken to remove you from the position.)
A bachelor's or higher degree in one of the areas listed below1 AND two years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below 2
30 college credits in the areas listed below 1 IN ADDITION TO an associate's degree in nursing or completion of a three-year nursing program (attach a copy of your college transcript(s) to your NYS APP) AND three years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below 2.
1. Acceptable areas include nursing, health care administration, public administration in a health care area, public health, community mental health, community mental health counseling, psychology, sociology, biology, social work or human services. The 30 credits may include up to two statistics courses. Courses/degrees in physical education, recreation therapy, English, history, math, anthropology, languages, etc. are NOT acceptable.
2. One year of experience in providing direct services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness, mental retardation, developmental disabilities, or alcohol or substance abuse in a COMMUNITY SETTING, e.g., a halfway house, visiting nurse, or a community clinic.
SUBSTITUTION: A master's degree in community mental health may be substituted for this experience only. ## Duties Description
As a Community Mental Health Nurse, you would work within the framework of a treatment team providing nursing services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness, alcoholism or substance abuse, mental retardation or developmental disabilities, and their caretakers/families. You would visit the individual's home to identify factors in the social, psychological, and physical environment which may contribute to this individual's disability; make recommendations for emergency or continuing care; suggest alternative treatment plans; teach caretakers/family methods of dealing with emergencies; and provide advice on the availability of medical, social, and housing facilities for the individual in the community. You would intervene in crisis situations and administer emergency treatment; engage in treatment modalities such as health teaching, individual and group psychotherapy, family therapy, or milieu therapy as appropriate; work with appropriate community agencies as necessary and ensure a coordinated team treatment plan. You might supervise and counsel paraprofessional and professional personnel in community mental health activities and participate in the staff development and teaching program of the facility.
1. You must possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. Conditional or restricted license are not acceptable.
2. If you fail to maintain your nursing license and/or registration once you are appointed, action will be taken to remove you from the position.
3. In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
4. If appointed you may be required to become an enrolled Medicare provider; obtain and provide to your employer a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number issued by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES); and otherwise actively participate to the degree necessary to allow for your services to be billed through Medicare and Medicaid. If you are appointed and you lose the ability to bill through Medicare and Medicaid, you may be terminated from your employment. ## Additional Comments
Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee's employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
Generous benefit package includes:
- Paid vacation leave
- Paid personal leave
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Tuition Aid
- Medical, Prescription, Dental, and Vision care benefits
- Membership in the New York State and Local Employees Retirement System, and
- Various savings plan programs.
The posted hiring rate is the sum of the statutory hiring rate for PS&T Grade 19 ($59,671), and a Geographic Pay Differential ($8,000). The posted job rate is the sum of the statutory job rate ($75,785), and a Geographic Pay Differential ($8,000) ## Notes on Applying
Indicate the Title and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Please complete the New York State Application and the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit with your resume and other application materials. Please apply by fax or E-mail.
Date Posted: 03/29/19
Applications Due: 09/28/19
Vacancy ID: 65654
Agency: Mental Health, Office of
Title: Community Mental Health Nurse, Buffalo Psychiatric Center, P19346
Occupational Category: Health Care, Human/Social Services
Salary Grade: 19
Bargaining Unit: PS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary Range: From $67671 to $83785 Annually
Employment Type: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Contingent Permanent
Jurisdictional Class: Competitive Class
Travel Percentage: 20%
Hours Per Week: 40
From: 12 AM
To: 11:30 PM
Flextime allowed?: No
Mandatory overtime?: No
Compressed workweek allowed?: No
Telecommuting allowed?: No
Zip Code: 14213
Name: Human Resources
Email Address: BPC-Careers@omh.ny.gov
Street Address: Buffalo Psychiatric Center 400 Forest Street
Street: Buffalo Psychiatric Center 400 Forest Avenue