Racing Official - Assistant Clerk of Scales
New York Racing Association Ozone Park, NY
- Posted: February 21, 2021
NYRA seeks to hire a Racing Official to work at all three racetracks. Reporting to the Racing Secretary, the qualified candidate will assist the Clerk of Scales in supervising the activity in the Jockey's room.Responsibilities
- Receive instructions from the Racing Secretary detailing the number and types of races to occur in the upcoming weeks.
- Create and print out a schedule of races and their descriptions (condition book) to be held two weeks out.
- Make calls to trainers to take entries to fill races. Document horses entering.
- Print out results of each race day ("overnight") and distribute to appropriate departments.
- Weigh each jockey with saddle before and after each race.
- Ensure that handicapped weights as specified on racing program are carried during each race.
- Assist Racing Secretary with ad-hoc projects.
- Bachelor's Degree or the equivalent.
- Prior experience working in a Racing Office required.
- Knowledge of racing rules, protocol, and logistics.
- Familiarity with racetrack; i.e., conditions and measurements.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Computer literacy.
- Strong verbal communication.
- Ability to work a racing schedule, which includes holidays and weekends.
- Ability to relocate to Saratoga Springs for 7 - 8 weeks in the summer (relocation stipend provided).