Why Join ADAPT?
It's more than a job; it's a calling. It's where passion meets purpose. ADAPT Community Network, formerly United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of NYC provides a multitude of services to people with developmental disabilities. At ADAPT, we are 3,000 strong, and it takes every one of us to empower the lives of the people we support. With caring and great resources at hand, we know what it takes to help people live fuller, happier, healthier lives. Our employees show their commitment to the people we support every day, and we all deliver on our promise to provide innovative and comprehensive services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
For your next career move, apply with us at ADAPT Community Network! Wherever you work among our many locations around New York City, ADAPT offers paid training, competitive benefits, and we foster a team culture of learning, support, collaboration and career growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Teacher's Assistant will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provides physical and programmatic aid to children where assigned.
- Aids in program plans and preparations.
- Assists with supervision of children in assigned areas.
- Performs clerical work for assigned areas i.e. collating, folding, typing, laminating and answering telephones.
- Participates in case conferences as needed.
- Ensures that services are rendered to children with utmost regard for their personal dignity, privacy and confidentiality.
- Provides necessary program support/coverage.
- Ensures that all data collection and progress notes are completed according to division time frames and they accurately reflect functioning and program standards.
- Follows established classroom activity schedules.
- Assists Special Education Teacher in maintaining a clean and organized classroom.
- Implements universal precautions at all times.
- Assists with toileting and feeding of children as needed.
- Assists with outer clothing of children receiving services on arrival and departure as needed.
- Participates in activities outside of activity room when necessary, i.e. trips, pool, gym. Enters swimming pool and participates fully in all pool activities with children as required.
- Attends required staff meetings.
- Participates in in-service training programs within department.
- Assists with transporting children between buses and building as requested.
- Initiates precautions within established framework to assure that own work is completed in a manner free from recognized hazards.
- Substitutes in other classrooms as requested.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with coworkers, employees, children and their parents
- Must maintain confidentiality of children’s records
- Ability to analyze problems and determine corrective measures
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- Six months of related experience is preferred
- Teacher Assistant Certification